Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sagging in the rear, not talking about pants.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging in the rear, not talking about pants.

Alright here is my issue. I am getting quite a bit of sag in the rear of my jeep due to bumper/carrier with a 35" tire. I have a RE 3.5" lift with after market shocks. I measured the front and I am about 2" higher than the back. I am measuring from the same points to get as close as a measurement as possible.

The questions I have are:

1.) Can I just get Teraflex 2" spacers for the rear?
2.) Do I need to get new shocks? If I thinking correctly all I am doing is bring the jeep back to the lift level due the added weight.
3.) Is there anything else I need to adjust because I am bringing my lift back to 3.5"?

Thanks for all the input guys/gals...
Old 03-06-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by animated_robot
Alright here is my issue. I am getting quite a bit of sag in the rear of my jeep due to bumper/carrier with a 35" tire. I have a RE 3.5" lift with after market shocks. I measured the front and I am about 2" higher than the back. I am measuring from the same points to get as close as a measurement as possible.

The questions I have are:

1.) Can I just get Teraflex 2" spacers for the rear?
2.) Do I need to get new shocks? If I thinking correctly all I am doing is bring the jeep back to the lift level due the added weight.
3.) Is there anything else I need to adjust because I am bringing my lift back to 3.5"?

Thanks for all the input guys/gals...
1.) yes
2.) probably not
3.) no
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lemme know when you get your stuff in, if I'm available, I'll help you get it in. The shop you went to for the welding is only about a 1/4 mile from my house.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the input. When it come to modifying my suspension I'm still on the learning curve.

Mkjeep sounds like a plan. I'll shoot you a PM in a few.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just remember shocks dont provide the lift, thats what the coils are for. Shocks provide dampening for the coils.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LBJEEPER
Just remember shocks dont provide the lift, thats what the coils are for. Shocks provide dampening for the coils.
The only reason I asked about shocks was due to me adding back 2" to the rear. All I am really doing is bring the rear back to the lifted height before the weight of the bumper/carrier/tire so my shocks that I have will do.

I just ordered me some 2" Teraflex spacers and we will see how it looks afterward. Might put me at a low rake, but nothing some spacers in the front can't solve. I am just shocked that my springs aren't holding up like I thought they would. You would think that when they make the springs they would take into count the heavy items we put on our jeeps.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by animated_robot
Alright here is my issue. I am getting quite a bit of sag in the rear of my jeep due to bumper/carrier with a 35" tire. I have a RE 3.5" lift with after market shocks. I measured the front and I am about 2" higher than the back......
I have the same springs. It sat low in the back from day one. The x.5" kits are suppose to make a jeep sit more "level". I personally hate no rake. Comes from my history with trucks, it looks overloaded. From day one I added a 3/4" spacer in the rear. Last time I was home it still looked to low to me. That said 2" is a hell-of-a-lot. I would actually jack the frame/body up to where you like and measure the difference. This way you know you will be happy.

If after the fact, your articulation is limited more that you like by the shocks you can use that for an excuse to raise up the bottom mounts. Like with EVO rockstars.

Quick Reply: Sagging in the rear, not talking about pants.