Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

safest speed for Bestop Sunrider For Hardtop

Old 04-27-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safest speed for Bestop Sunrider For Hardtop

so bestop, was this baked into the plan?

make it so easy to flip the sunrider for hardtop back, that we would start experimenting the fastest speed to open and close the top?

i assume the answer is ONLY WHEN AT A STOP or Standstill.

of course but sometimes the rain comes down on a long road with no pull offs, or i change my mind mid drive.

have you tested retracting the top at speed? and do you have a limitiation of such?

its a very solid construction, and although it might pick up a ton of air, at what speed is it too much?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know with my Bestop trek top NX (softtop) just added to my jeep last week I tested that lol .... At a stop perfect .... Released driver and passenger clip while still and just pushed up the top it snapped back nicely and I was baking in the sun ..... Next day I decided to do the same at a light but it turned green so I was just starting to crawl thru the intersection like 10km/hr and SNAP it flew back ... I won't do that again ... It was a tad windier but still I'll wait til I'm at a complete stop to flip it back
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3869486417.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	575.1 KB
ID:	645194  
Old 04-27-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
I know with my Bestop trek top NX (softtop) just added to my jeep last week I tested that lol .... At a stop perfect .... Released driver and passenger clip while still and just pushed up the top it snapped back nicely and I was baking in the sun ..... Next day I decided to do the same at a light but it turned green so I was just starting to crawl thru the intersection like 10km/hr and SNAP it flew back ... I won't do that again ... It was a tad windier but still I'll wait til I'm at a complete stop to flip it back

Lol I bet that was loud. That header has hit my rear cage a few times and scared the crap out of my wife but never while moving.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
Lol I bet that was loud. That header has hit my rear cage a few times and scared the crap out of my wife but never while moving.
Lol yup ..... Scared me too I thought I just ruined my brand new top..... No damage PHEW!! Lol
Old 04-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

25mph is the ideal speed for a 2dr top being folded back. I've gone as high as 40. Keep in mind though that doing this is an awesome way to tear and destroy your top. I've got a friend who accidentally had it happen and his top was destroyed after coming undone at speed.

Quick Reply: safest speed for Bestop Sunrider For Hardtop