Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Safarisnorkel >> coming soon !!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. I second liljon's comment about the point of entry into the engine compartment. How is this issue addressed in the two models and is the higher location better, both for function and for the design once inside and connecting to my engine?
As for the material, IMO, you can break anything, so if both manufacturers are reputable and both snorkels are tested true... that just leaves looks. And that is in the eye of the beholder.
I didn't like the RR until I read this thread. To me the pros of it are:
Made in the USA... like my Jeep, thoughtful design, higher mounting point, and a manufacturer that has is a member of this forum and willing to chime in without being offended.
Just my 2 cents. This is my first Jeep, but having fun with it !
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eisenjj
You better take a better look at the picture! It would allow for the windshield to fold...given the fact that those three screws actually go into the passenger door...you have to remember that these things are made in the UK so engineering leaves a little to be improved/corrected/plain-o-made-to-work-like-it-should-have-in-the-first-place.
lol, nope...those are def in the windshield, not the door....and it would suck even more if it was in the door!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tambil68
Great thread. I second liljon's comment about the point of entry into the engine compartment. How is this issue addressed in the two models and is the higher location better, both for function and for the design once inside and connecting to my engine?
Let me get this straight:

You are going to play and want to get a snorkel incase you drop your JK in the water, but you don't want your waterproofed snorkel to get wet?

The whole idea of these things is to seel the air system from the intake up at the windsheild all the way into the engine. Why worry about it being underwater. That's like buying a set of swampers and being afraid of them getting muddy.

Missing the point here
Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cdash
The whole idea of these things is to seel the air system from the intake up at the windsheild all the way into the engine. Why worry about it being underwater. That's like buying a set of swampers and being afraid of them getting muddy.

Missing the point here
Edited thanks to tk's reply. and a little extra thought after my post here...
Would a kit that mounts below the stock airbox open the possibility of a lower point of water entry? (say, if it leaked)
And yes on further thought, I don't think I would want to drop her in water that would go over the hood. Don't think it would make a good submarine!
LOL

And do you have any suggestions for a newbie to get things water tight?
I love in FL and we have a lot of rain and water.. but no rocks...

Last edited by tambil68; 01-24-2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: More thought put into post...lol... Thank you TK
Old 01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crash
We put alot of time into each one of our hand fabricated metal units.
I could probably lower the price if I moved the whole thing to China or some other country but then I would hate myself.
They are made in the USA.
We could build the kit cheaper buy using inferior parts. But we will leave that for others to do.
I don't deny that a plastic unit can be made cheaper.

We offer a great product at a resonable price.

We receive calls daily from unhappy ARB customers who have busted some part of there system.
They offten complain about being charged some obsene amount for a part like a hose or plastic hood.

We hate being gauged or ripped off and we refuse to do that to our customers.

We feel that a good product is worth good money.
That good customer service is part of the product.

We put alot of time into each one of our hand fabricated metal units.
The JK kit includes many pieces besides just the snorkel.
We use all stainless steel hose clamps and button head hardware.

well said...i think that if you are driving through the kinda' terrain that requires a snorkel you aren't worried about beat ing up you jeep and spending money...$500 is not that serious imho. I think the safari one looks sh%$ty compared to RR.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tambil68
Judging from the pic of the install kit, it would not "seel" the air because the factory air box is not sealed. (If you have one, does it seal the airflow all the way to the engine?) Therefore would a kit that mounts below the stock airbox open the possibility of a lower point of water entry? (say, if it leaked)
And yes on further thought, I don't think I would want to drop her in water that would go over the hood. Don't think it would make a good submarine!
LOL

And do you have any suggestions for a newbie to get things water tight?
I love in FL and we have a lot of rain and water.. but no rocks...
tambil if you are refering to the RR install kit and the factory air box not being sealed, if you look at the kit the black plate with the screw holes in it right above the hose clamps, that plate goes over the factory intake hole, if you;ve looked at your factory airbox, the inlet is curved, you just trim it so that its flat and then you install the that plate and silicone around it...it will definately keep the water out
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

i like the simple design of the RR... but that is just it. it looks too simple to pay that kind of money for. I am waiting for the final product to hit the market for ARB, though.

I have a Nissan model Safari Snorkel on my ZJ. I had to make up my own airbox. The results have been excellent. I have driven in the rain and watched the watter drip/pour from the snorkel head, so I know that some form of a prefilter is important.... to me at least.

I didnt put the snorkel on my ZJ to drive through 7 foot deep water holes. I put it on to raise the intake from behind the headlight, which is extremely important. I have seen the ducting for the RR, and I was not very happy with it... but to be honest, the design of the Jeep doesnt leave many options.

RR, I think if you guys do soften up the design... perhaps come up with a newer design and carry the two models, then lower the price of the current one, you may increase your sales. There are those that go for looks, and those that go for function. Having a bargain model and a pricier model would be appealing as well.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

IMHO,

The ARB or Mantec looks much, much better than the RR.

Plastic is fantastic.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkob1060
um how do you see that one as allowing you to fold down the windshield? looks to me like it is mounted to the window frame also...see the 3 bolts from midway up to the top
well it is attached to the w/s frame and yes that is what the accordion type pipe is there for to allow the user the ability to fold the w/s keeping in mind older land rovers defenders do not have sport/roll bars so it would allow the vehicle to have a 4.5 foot tall profile compared to the 6.5 foot normal profile
Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cdash
Let me get this straight:

You are going to play and want to get a snorkel incase you drop your JK in the water, but you don't want your waterproofed snorkel to get wet?

Missing the point here
My main thing is that the engine moves, and vibrates, the frame flexes, and between all of that movement I would think that over time a plastic or a metal snorkel could get stress fractures and allow water in. What is there to keep this from happening? also there are joints between the peices and the lower your snorkel goes through the body the more you are risking getting water into your engine if any of the seals between the joints fail.

Quick Reply: Safarisnorkel >> coming soon !!!!!