Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

safari top ...

Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safari top ...

i didnt know exactly where to post this....so i stuck it here.

i bought the BestTop Safari top for my 2 door JK...its great for keeping the sun off you...but its also good for hitting passengers in the back seat when it flaps! when going less than 50 mph, the top works fine. However, if i need to get on the highway, the straps end up loosening and the back portion of the top begins to flap violently. It has even come completely unstrapped before...is this a problem everyone has on this top? should i just not have it on when i plan to travel on the highway? it was rather expensive and thought it should work better than it has..i hope im just doing something wrong! help please!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The Mopar Sunbonnet does better, but it's quite a bit more expensive. Do bear in mind that its header bar is built in, so you don't have that additional expense. They make two versions--one for if you have a softtop (or, more specifically, the door frames), and one for if you don't (it attaches to the roll bar with large, Velcro panels). Quite a few folks have switched from the Bestop to the Mopar and report better results. Having said that, while flapping isn't a problem, at Interstate speeds it does sag in the back. The air pressure pushes it down and it may push against the heads of taller rear seat passengers. Regardless, I drove mine, with the Duster and Windjammer, between Oklahoma City and San Diego and back and was quite please with the results. Even though I drove half a day through some very heavy rains, barely any water got in (had I stopped, plenty of water could have gotten in through the open areas in back around that almost useless four-door Windjammer). It also makes a sharp looking rig when outfitted like that ...

Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a pool noodle. Put it under the top, just above the sports bar.

Quick Reply: safari top ...