Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RV Tow Harness P/N 82211156

Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my this evening with little pain until I plugged my JK into my MH. Nothing woked. I manually turned on the running lights on the JK and only the front runing lights turned on. No brake, No turn sig, No nothing.

Does this thing work?????
Old 06-01-2007, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I will try mine tomorrow

Originally Posted by jmauk
I just installed my this evening with little pain until I plugged my JK into my MH. Nothing woked. I manually turned on the running lights on the JK and only the front runing lights turned on. No brake, No turn sig, No nothing.

Does this thing work?????
I also just completed the Cooltech harness install and wired up the front connector through the bumper. Next step is to plug into the MH which sits at a nearby storage facility. I intend to do that tomorrow and will report back. The front connector has additional wiring to the unused pins for a "toad-charge" unit that keeps the battery charged by the MH whilst driving. Probably not necessary but this way I never have to worry about a dead toad battery.

I also mounted a Demco baseplate and am working on an SMI wireless brake setup to be completed this weekend hopefully. Using the Cooltech switch place mount that goes underneath the air cond controls to mount the on/off switch for the brake controller and as a nice location for the Cobra 75 CB mike connector to attach to. I hope to be ready to tow the JK Phx to Tahoe in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

The dealer had fitted the OEM harness 82211156 when I picked up the JK 10 days ago. And yes.. you guessed it, it doesn't work.

The brake lights function, but not the turn or marker lights. I do hear the relay in the new harness (in the passenger footwell) clicking in time with the RV/tow vehicles signals.

After 4 hours, they gave up an we ran a set of aux lights bought at the local RV store.

My JK does have the trailer tow package, hmmm....

Anybody had success with this who also has the TT package?

Andy

Last edited by AndyR; 06-03-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default RV Tow Harness not working

I too installed the factory harness and my experience is identical to the last post where the turn signals do not work as they should.

I hear the flasher in the harness keeping time with the tow vehicle. However, the actual turn singal lightbulb does not light up.

The strangest part of all this is that if you depress the brake pedal while the turn signal is on, then they both work.

Has anyone found a solution that does not include riding the brakes to make a turn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin
Old 09-13-2007, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Return the DC Harness

I installed the DC harness. I checked everything over and over, again and again. Nothing was wrong with out RV as we have a Honda Pilot that is also set up and it was fine.

I have had my Jeep set up to tow for about 2 1/2 months with the Cool Tech harness and it works fine. No need to disconnect the battery. I have towed the car for 10 hours and have had no problems starting it up (I do use a portable brake that plugs into the outlet in the car). Jeep said that the battery disconnect was so that the battery doesn't go dead.

The DC harness just doesn't work I had the same problem as you with the lights.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by The Jeep
I

The DC harness just doesn't work I had the same problem as you with the lights.

Thanks, I ordered the cool tech one and will file the OEM in a special place.

I can't afford to spend any more time trying to figure out why the OEM harness is still being sold to us when it just doesn't work.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the Cool Tech harness to my JK, but found that once hookup to the motor home the JK's lights did not work. Then it dawned on me that I had the same problem with my YJ. The motor home has separate brake and turn signal lights and the JK and my old YJ had combo stop/turn signal lights. I went to Camping World and got a Roadmaster 4 wire to 2 wire unit, about $60.00. Took care of the problem. So if your motor home has the amber turn signal and separate stop lights get this unit and put it between your motor home and jeep.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also here is a great write up on flat towing a JK.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/...2/m/3541098163
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

The answer to the DXC harness is......

You must have 12V being supplied via the B+ terminal of the 7 pin harness, that's the upper right as you look at the tow vehicle. I.e The ignition must be on in the tow vehicle.

Andy

Last edited by AndyR; 09-13-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Seadoo3,

I had the same problem so don't feel bad.
Once I got the harness bail lock to flip into place the unit worked but as Andy said you need to have power supplied from the tow vehicle. I was freaked out as we were heading out for a week long family vacation. One last thought was to fire up the RV and TADA! all the lights on the JK works as advertised.
Other than some user installation issues, the Mopar harness works fine.

One other issue.
My computer does not like to have the key in the ON position for a long period of time while towing. When I get to my destination, I get a check engine light. It clears after several starts. Not a big deal but kind of irritating.

Quick Reply: RV Tow Harness P/N 82211156