Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RV Tow Harness P/N 82211156

Old 05-19-2007, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RV Tow Harness P/N 82211156

Has anyone installed one of these yet? Just picked it up this morning. The kit looked good, the instructions are typical DC pictorials with no wording. After I sat down and looked at the pictorials it appeared to be an easy install. Couple hours later not too bad but now I don't have any interior lights and the engine won't start.
Does this part require dealer activation?
This is the harness to tow your Jeep behind your RV. It comes with a 7-pin connector harness as well as the harness whcih ties into your existing Jeep wiring.
I am going to check the wiring harness connectors again tomorrow morning. There were no error codes showing a problem. But the no lights bothers me. Worst case I can return the harness to original by taking out the patch harness and see what happens. :sad:
Old 05-19-2007, 09:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that harness on order for months. I got tired of waiting for it and ordered the cooltech harness. I hope you get it figured out. If not The cooltech
harness was quick and painless.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't use the DC harness. I went out and bought this product http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....OD&ProdID=1279.

I've been towing a Jayco Baja 10Y behind my JK Rubicon Unlimited with no problems. This product plugs right into the existing 4-pin plug. This way I have both available to me should I need it for those U-Haul type trailers.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default 82211156 Harness Install

I must have stayed at the Holiday Inn last night. I got up this morning, called the Jeep dealer and figuring they would be of no assistance, and they confirmed my thoughts, no help except to have it towed down.

I unplugged the new patch harness and replugged the oem harnesses back to original configuration. The interior lights came back onwhen I opened the door, the key bobs worked, and of course it started up like it is supposed to.

Undid the negative battery connection again, unplugged the oem harneses again and then replugged the new patch harness again making sure I snapped the clips holding the connector together. Connected battery, opened door and the lights camce on again, key bobs worked and it started!!!
Maybe it was just technician error, me, not clipping the connectors all the way together.

I needed this harness to work properly so I can tow JK behind our RV. We also have the tow ahrness on the back of the JK for towing something behind it. This harness is supposed to provide the 12V I need to power the lights and signals and not drain the battery so when we get to where we are going I don't have to jump start the JK.

So far so good. I'll hook it up next weekend behind the RV to see how the lights work.

My next update will be on my experience with pictures on the problems I had and what it looks like.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
I had that harness on order for months. I got tired of waiting for it and ordered the cooltech harness. I hope you get it figured out. If not The cooltech
harness was quick and painless.

Indeed, the Cool Tech, LLC, Inc. harness http://www.cooltechllc.com/servlet/Detail?no=13 is the way to go. SIMPLE plug and play install.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Unless Cooltech has fixed their harness design, it won't work with your stock towing harness and the new harness at the same time. The right turn signal will not work. If you take the tail light out and only plug in one of the two then it works fine just not both at the same time. Its the way the plugs were designed as this is just a lengthened stock tow harness ran to the front.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gasser
Unless Cooltech has fixed their harness design, it won't work with your stock towing harness and the new harness at the same time. The right turn signal will not work. If you take the tail light out and only plug in one of the two then it works fine just not both at the same time. Its the way the plugs were designed as this is just a lengthened stock tow harness ran to the front.
Yes, the original Cool Tech, LLC Inc. harness had issues if you had the factory tow package installed on the Jeep. The Cool Tech, LLC Inc. "'revision 2" harness now being sold http://www.cooltechllc.com/servlet/Detail?no=13 took care of the issue and works great even if installed along with the factory trailer towing harness. I installed the Cool Tech harness last week. (I also have the factory tow package) Very simple install. Takes about 15-20 min if you get fancy lets say and run the harness through the frame rail. The Cool Tech, LLC Inc. is well made, works well and is the way to go! Can tell you Cool Tech stands firm behind their terrific product offerings. I also use their VersaMount to mount my GPS. VersaMount available here.. http://www.cooltechllc.com/servlet/Detail?no=12

Last edited by BILLARF; 05-20-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

For the install instructions on the Cool Tech, LLC Inc. revision 2 harness go here... http://www.auffarth.com/Videos/TH101.pdf
Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Default Concerns about towing times / battery

Can't speak much to this particular harness but the one we use with the brakemaster setup seems to use both the RVs and JKs power.

I was very concerned on the first few trips about draining the battery during long drives but has since gone almost 10 hours without noticeable drain on the battery.

This wiring requires the JK to have the key placed in the position to unlock the wheel. Beyond that - there are a couple of dash lights and that's about it. The brakes are activated via air pressure against the JK's brakes.

Unfortunately I had to bail and have it installed thanks to a total lack of time but we've not had any problems and although I still carry a battery charger in the RV - we haven't had to use it yet!

Good luck

Last edited by AZToad; 05-22-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BILLARF
For the install instructions on the Cool Tech, LLC Inc. revision 2 harness go here... http://www.auffarth.com/Videos/TH101.pdf
Compared to my harness, looks like they just used a jumper wire to get power to that right tail light. I need to get my volt meter out and figure out which wire to jump to. Looks like they used the yellow/white wire. Should be a simple job to get mine hooked up full time. I don't want to have to switch them back and forth every time.

Other wise its a great harness and the Motorhome will power the lights.

Quick Reply: RV Tow Harness P/N 82211156