Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rust on rocker panels

Old 05-18-2021, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on rocker panels

Hello

I would like to have your advice here please.
I got some rust on rocker panel side and want to stop it immediately before it comes a problem.
A mecanic told me remove all rust on the surface, after that drill 1/2 inch hole where I put red circle on my picture, once hole are done, he said to use water to clean the inside, water will flow via water drain below, as we see on my others picture. After every is clean he told me to put oil inside via the 3 holes and make sure oil is everywhere.

Do you think is a good idea to protect bottom of side panels ? Before to drill I want to know your mind on that and maybe you'll have others solution to protect it !
After all, I'll put a oiling hole cap on hole.

​​
Thanks a lot !

Karl
Old 05-18-2021, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Karl, rust is like an iceberg - you only see 10% of it.
To repair properly you need to cut those panels off and install new ones perhaps from Rock Auto. Always paint the panels with weld thru primer after preparing and before welding back on to the body. Then hit it with epoxy primer again prior to doing any body filler if you need that. Your paint will last forever then with no bubbles. Also I suggest you look into Rust Check products. They have shops all over the US/Canada and that is a first time install for about $300 then annually for about $100. I sold a 10 year old run in winter Dodge Truck in 2017 that was Rust Checked every year and it was totally rust free.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:51 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I had never heard of rust check, but looks like it would be worth doing up there.

when I worked at the dealership, our parts manager had a sister that lived around Buffalo NY, she would come down to east Texas to visit sometimes, anyway, she came down and brought her car in for an oil change, the oil change guy came back and said she had a bad oil leak, he went back to the wash rack and cleaned it up real good so he could see where the oil was coming from, had it running for a while and didn’t see any leaks, went up and told her about the leak and that we wanted to recheck it after she drove a little bit to see if we could tell where it was coming from, that’s when she told us that she pays people to spray oil under her car to help prevent rust from the salted roads,
I had never heard of anything like that either
Old 05-18-2021, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 403 Likes on 378 Posts

Oh Canada.. There are many Rust treatment/preventative products .. google UNOH.. it is oil based and sprayed under and in all orifices (see it advertised on TV Car shows here). Many other DIY products too.. From the pics with the red arrows pointing to the door rocker -- HAVE these perforated the metal ? IMO i'd check out UNOH and other products.. Some claim to Stop rust when applied over rust IDK.. I do believe that if there is NO Perforation you could have a much easier repair.

Quick Reply: Rust on rocker panels