Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Running without tire pressure sensors.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maddygirl
They didn't know the system wasn't on/working or you would have failed. The extent of their inspection is checking the dash cluster for the dummy light being on. NOT ON = NOT A PROBLEM.
If some states don't already do it now, it is probably just a matter of time until they plug into the OBDII diagnostic port and do a check scan against some database. When they see a variance, you will either have to document an allowable exception or fail.

Second biggest reason I kept my frisbee sized stock 16" steelies, tires and TPMS around. Biggest reason -- warranty work

-meljr
Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meljr
If some states don't already do it now, it is probably just a matter of time until they plug into the OBDII diagnostic port and do a check scan against some database. When they see a variance, you will either have to document an allowable exception or fail.

Second biggest reason I kept my frisbee sized stock 16" steelies, tires and TPMS around. Biggest reason -- warranty work

-meljr
I agree on the warranty work but don't kid yourself. It really makes no sense for us to sell them seeing how brand new take-offs seem to fetch no more than 400 bucks. That is rediculous for 5 wheels/tires. People that sell them at those levels are crazy.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Off the subject a little, but do you think state inspections would fail a Jeep for having the ESP Traction Light on because someone did the steering wheel / ESP button process to turn it off?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been said a few times now but no reason to buy the TPMS if your state is not inspecting for them and running them puts you at risk if you do rock crawling because they get broken...just replaced mine with rubber stems and used the AEV Procal to kill the idiot light.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for the stupid question.....if putting new tires on the stock wheels can I just continue with the same stems/TPMS???
Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by alaskabound
Sorry for the stupid question.....if putting new tires on the stock wheels can I just continue with the same stems/TPMS???
You sure can......Other forum members opt to replace them with rubber ones because they are cheaper & less likely to get ripped off during extreme offroading....
Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by meljr
....Second biggest reason I kept my frisbee sized stock 16" steelies, tires and TPMS around. Biggest reason -- warranty work
-meljr
x2 That's why I kept my 17"moabs & just purchased aftermarket rims...
Old 10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

buy a procal turn the pressure to zero. no light inspection station will never know.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

I am disappointed with my TPMS system. On occasion, I will get the chime while driving, have stopped, checked pressures (all at 35 to 38 psi.)??? What good is it if it can't identify the tire or the pressure. What a waste!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alabama does not check cars so i just see it as another interior light.

Quick Reply: Running without tire pressure sensors.