Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Running without a spare?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol he asked for pics of the back of ur jk without the spare tire kit...lol
and no pics yet??? im also considering the spare removal, but gonna put her in the back.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by klutz1001
wanted to see some pictures of people without it

well instead of telling you how to run you rig ...here are some pictures of how i've run mine BTW most previous posters were a**holes....dude didn't ask your opinion as much as all of you LOVE to give it...he just wanted pix, sorry just my 2¢

kinda muddy but you get the idea

pre ripping everything up

What it looks like now with the 35$ piece of metal from Warrior replacing the vent

Last edited by x No Compromise Offroad x; 12-30-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by klutz1001
my buddy thinks it looks weird without one.... im just planning on movin up to 35's and have heard all the horror stories of the tailgates ripping off... so no pictures of a naked tailgate??
i ran a 35 on the stock carrier for over a year on many tough trails with no problems.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fish
i ran a 35 on the stock carrier for over a year on many tough trails with no problems.
Unless you go wheelin' with another JK that will loan you their 35" if needed, or yours is inside your Jeep, then it's better to run the risk of having your tailgate ripped off than running the risk of getting a flat miles from nowhere.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I disagree strongly with those that say you MUST have a spare.

There are lots of reasons to run a spare tire... the biggest one is that you bought a set of tires that ISN'T tough enough for the environment you're running in.

Case in point... I've run the Hammers in Socal dozens of times. Tore MT/Rs, tore BFG MTs, and watch them eat SSRs, IROK radials and a few others.

Got a set of Krawlers and never tore another tire. The Swamper SX is the same way. Tougher than hell. Why bother to run a spare if you're NOT gonna tear a tire? Its 120+ pounds in EXACTLY the WRONG place.

Some of it is in understanding the construction of a tire. A RADIAL tire uses radial cords that run 90 degree from the center out. A tear in a radial runs right up the cord and the sidewall is decimated. A bias ply tires uses cord that runs at 45 degree so the cords cross and are highly unlikely to tear. The Krawler is a modified radial that uses an angle less than 90*, so the cords cross and prevent tears.

Punctures are another thing entirely, but are highly manageable with a plug set.

Get a tough off road tire and you do NOT need a spare. Real advice based on REAL experience.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree with the posters who advise running a spare tire. Unless your jeep is a mall crawler and you have triple A, I think a spare is essential. Sure you can try to reseat a bead or plug a tire but your buddies are going to be pissed because you are wasting their wheeling time because you are to cheap to get a spare. It doesnt have to be a full size spare, just get a used 33 to stick on there. It will be good enough to get you out of the woods. Enough stuff happens on the trail to hold you up, dont let something this simple waste you and your buddies time.

My club will not even let you run with them without a full size spare, tow strap, front and rear recovery points and fire extinguisher. This stuff is just commen sense.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

No. Its not common sense. Its bringing appropriate equipment to a trailrun. If you show up with a set of traditional radials (Pro Comps, BFG MTs or ATs, Toyos, etc...) then you brought the wrong tire and a spare is your admission that you have made a compromise on tires.

I can show you hundreds of pics like this one. Trip after trip to the hammers, Rubicon, moab... all on the toughest trails and I NEVER tore a Swamper SX or Krawler.

Last edited by Sethmark; 12-31-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

A spare is like insurance, you don't need it most of the time but you're screwed when you do need it and don't have it.

You could always go to one of your local tire places and get a used tire to run as a space to save a few bucks.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sethmark
No. Its not common sense. Its bringing appropriate equipment to a trailrun. If you show up with a set of traditional radials (Pro Comps, BFG MTs or ATs, Toyos, etc...) then you brought the wrong tire and a spare is your admission that you have made a compromise on tires.

I can show you hundreds of pics like this one. Trip after trip to the hammers, Rubicon, moab... all on the toughest trails and I NEVER tore a Swamper SX or Krawler.
BTW, you really shouldn't let testosterone get in the way of common sense by making asinine comments like these.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 AM
-

My 2 cents:

I have no spare in the winter cause I have ridiculously small winter tires and I don't off-road in the winter. A spare in the city is not essential and not required by law.

In the summer, whole different story. I got 35" Destination and wouldn't wheel without a spare !! To make the money valued, I put the spare in the rotation of the tires every 5000 Km, so all tires will last 20% more, and if I change brand in 3 years, I will no throw away a brand new tire ! I run the stock bumper/gate, but support the weight of the spare with my hitch (well, not last summer, I was removing the spare for city and putting it back for week-ends...)

Here's a pict of my winter set-up:

Quick Reply: Running without a spare?