Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Running without a spare?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running without a spare?

Hey yall...
I really don't want to run a spare but wanted to see some pictures of people without it... my buddie thinks it looks weird but it would save me a ton of money (35" tire, matching wheel, new bumper, ect.) also is it a requirement for inspection?
thanks yall
Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klutz1001
Hey yall...
I really don't want to run a spare but wanted to see some pictures of people without it... my buddie thinks it looks weird but it would save me a ton of money (35" tire, matching wheel, new bumper, ect.) also is it a requirement for inspection?
thanks yall
I would suggest getting a tire plug kit and a good 12 volt air compressor if you dont want to run a spare Go Noles, I am Pa living FSU fan
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

DO NOT RUN ANY TRAIL WITHOUT A SPARE.
I did that ONCE and that one time I popped my sidewall...and there is no repairing that. I was able to borrow my friends 35" spare (at the time I was wheeling an XJ on 33") but not only was I "that guy" but it ruined our day.
Spend the $400 on a spare tire and rim and throw it in the rear if your not going to buy a bumper but do not be such a cheap ass that you don't run a spare. That is asking for trouble.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

in the winter i dont carry a spare but i dont but thats because its off season and i dont go far. What i do is i get my jeep inspected in november. That way you have all your summer gear still on like spare etc. So you pass inspection then a few weeks later when you know your done wheeling drop it off and save a MPG. I unbolt the swing arm and all and run bare tailgate. I like how it looks too. As for wheeling without it. NO WAY. I have a rock pinch a valve stem and grind it down to were you couldnt put air in it and i aired down to 15 pounds. And was 2 hours from home. I had my spare so no worrys. The one thing that never happens to anybody happened to me lol so i dont go inot the woods without my spare. If your worried about cost i have a buddy that got a 15 inch steel wheel for $30 bucks and the 15 inch version of his tires for like 120 bucks. But then you cant do 5 wheel rotation. Which is what i do. You will get a little more life out of your tires doing 5 wheel rotation.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running without a spare = a good way to find yourself in a crappy situation without any options.

If I'm leading a trail run, I refuse to let anyone come along unless they have a full sized spare.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had got 4 brand new 37in Toyos, was saving up for a spare, two weeks later gotta nail in one of them 20 miles from a tire shop. Had to beat feet with a leaky tire ,I ordered my spare the same day.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Hey yall...
thanks yall
well tell your buddy he can come pick u up off the trail when u pop your tire if it looks that weird. he can pay for towing expenses. he can pay for the new tire because yours wont be repairable. oh and he can pay for all new tires because if u leave your jeep on some trails overnight, it will be stripped clean by morning.

dude dont listen to your "buddy" its your jeep, you do whats best for you and your jeep. save up some more money for a full size spare, even if its a used tire and beat up rim. there are a few cheaper options for the tire carrier instead of the bumper and tire carrier. even talk to some of the companies selling the tires, some will give u a free tire when u buy 4, deals are out there.

as for the inspection, unless its a local thing where u live, state of florida does not do safety inspections.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Get the spare...we popped 2 tires one right after the other. Never ever go out without one
Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

my buddy thinks it looks weird without one.... im just planning on movin up to 35's and have heard all the horror stories of the tailgates ripping off... so no pictures of a naked tailgate??
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

my buddy thinks it looks weird without one.... im just planning on movin up to 35's and have heard all the horror stories of the tailgates ripping off... so no pictures of a naked tailgate??
oh ok, weird without one, gotcha. there are some pics out there, but most people run spare tires. best way to tell is take your carrier off and see for yourself.

you could always put the spare in the back while u save up for a bumper and tire carrier. i did that and so have many others.

Quick Reply: Running without a spare?