Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Running 12.5 wide rims can I user smaller tires

Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running 12.5 wide rims can I user smaller tires

I bought 17x12.5 rims with tires (33x12.5x17")last year. But these tires are a bit to wide for my taste: I prefer going to 35" x 11.5" (should such tire exsist). I like the rims so I was wandering, can I use narrower tires on these rims?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nkijkuit
I bought 17x12.5 rims with tires (33x12.5x17")last year. But these tires are a bit to wide for my taste: I prefer going to 35" x 11.5" (should such tire exsist). I like the rims so I was wandering, can I use narrower tires on these rims?
I would double check the width of your rim. I have never heard of 12.5" inch rims. But no, you cannot use rims that are wider than your tires.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Actually you can use a wider rim than tire, the VWs and Audis do it all the time. Even here in my small community there are kids that have 11" wide boggers on 12" wide wheels- it looks sweet but the kids here don't play with their toys
There's a reason why they don't.
Airing down a tire narrower than its rim is pretty much a guarantee to unseat a bead.

Quick Reply: Running 12.5 wide rims can I user smaller tires