Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Run 37" tire with Front D30 ?! possible ?!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
very true, depends on the wheeling you do and how you drive it. ive seen d30 ring gears blow, and also d60 ring gears blow...2 d 60s this last month alone.
I hope the broken d60's were guys trying to climb up /over big boulders?

With my factory d30 and d44 and no lockers I had to stomp on the skinny pedal to get through sections where stock rubicons with their lockers on just rolled right through it!

I'm looking forward to way less skinny pedal and enjoy my lockers
Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

So I thought that you are more likely to break something if you are locked. Am I wrong?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I hope the broken d60's were guys trying to climb up /over big boulders?

With my factory d30 and d44 and no lockers I had to stomp on the skinny pedal to get through sections where stock rubicons with their lockers on just rolled right through it!

I'm looking forward to way less skinny pedal and enjoy my lockers
it depends they usually are, but last weekend one gave out on a buggy racing down an arroyo on the decel. Im assuming the gears cracked or something elsewhere then gave out there, or a bad install. but commonly its a big rock wall they go up and need to give it some gas and keep on it then they get a little wheel hop and boom...something along those lines lol
Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BANZAIKEV
So I thought that you are more likely to break something if you are locked. Am I wrong?
honestly you can break either way, it just can vary on what you actually break...theres never a set rule on what will break though.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Running 37 military wheels and tires. Im sleeved and gusseted and wheel moderately.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

honestly you can break either way, it just can vary on what you actually break...theres never a set rule on what will break though.
I tried really hard to upgrade everything I could to avoid weak links...

I think my weakest link is the transfer case...

My axles and driveshafts are hopefully overkill

Matthew
Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D30 and putting on 37 km2's tomorrow. Sleeves, gussets and truss going in after my rotation. Keeping the stock axles as recommended by several wheelers. Cheapest and easiest to fix. Oh ya running 4.88's.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Keep us informed on the truss. I am running 35in Procomp X terrains on my D30 and will upgrade to 37's when these wear out. I wheel moderately to heavy. So far so good. I would like to just do an artec truss if I can.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

it depends they usually are, but last weekend one gave out on a buggy racing down an arroyo on the decel. Im assuming the gears cracked or something elsewhere then gave out there, or a bad install. but commonly its a big rock wall they go up and need to give it some gas and keep on it then they get a little wheel hop and boom...something along those lines lol
Hard to compare a JK to a buggy

Although I had my driveshafts made by a guy who builds a lot of driveshafts for racing buggies

I hope that means that my drive shafts are near the bottom of my weakest link list!

I'm no physics expert, but I figure the amount of stress put on an axle is largely based on both the weight and the size of the tire/wheel...

Kind like if you measure a 42" plasma tv and a 50" plasma tv, the extra 8" makes a large % of screen size increase, if that makes sense?

Matthew
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running 37s on my d30. I ran trails all summer long every weekend on them and they held up strong for a long time.

However, I did blow my spider gears on Liberty trail here in CO. Very tough trail that honestly took all my jeep had to get down it. Coming back up I was trying to climb up a 2.5-3' ledge and I couldn't get up it. With the wheels locked to the left I did what I shouldnt have and gassed it hard. Boom.

Now this could have all been avoided if I took a better line and didnt gas it so hard. So it was my fault.

Other than that, the d30 has held up through lots of the tougher trails here in CO and I have confidence It will hold up just fine taking it easy on the skinny pedal and choose the right lines.

I will be upgrading when I can, but for now, it will do just fine!

Quick Reply: Run 37" tire with Front D30 ?! possible ?!