Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ruh roh, what do you all think?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VaNomad0530
Wonderful, how much you guys think it will cost? Do they have to pull the gears and re instal them?
Yeah carrier & axles have to come out for the axle seals. Pinion seal, just the yoke & labor shouldnt be too bad if you arent comfortable w/the job. Id seriously just clean the pssr side first & keep an eye on it, first, before replacing the axle seals. Especially since the big money in labor will be to replace them. You might get lucky w/it just being fluid in the tubes after they pulled the axles, especially if they did it on a lift w/a level front end.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes to have a shop replace the axle shaft seal its probably going to cost a couple hundred bucks. I would highly recommend doing it yourself its not hard just time consuming. Its good to know how to do these kind if things if you are going to wheel your rig because between ball joints, wheel bearings and seals you can save yourself alot of money on these things that tend to fail alot more often running bigger tires and the stress from wheeling.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Axle seals are gonna run you between 2 and 3 hundred. I just had my rears done. I did both sides so the sealsvwere new instead of leaving one old one in there. As for the pinion seal it's not hard at all and since they'd be doing the axle itbwould take them maybe another 15 minutes to throw a new seal on the pinion for you. Unless you feel comfortable doing that one on your own. I've already gone through 3 on my front. One was faulty and the other just crapped out after a while.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanx for the input everyone. I'll look into it. You all have been a big help.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I sleeved and gusseted my axle a week before regearing and the passenger side seal started leaking on mine as well. I was really careful reinstalling the axles so I think the heat from welding the sleeves must have damaged the seals.

It cost me $9 to have the seals replaced during the regear. The seals are cheap the labor is not.

Hope you get it all figured out!

RT
Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I’m not saying this is you problem but if you do any work to an area that might damage a seal it should be changed. It is like these people that think they are getting a great deal on a gear change. One company may not be changing all the parts that another company does and you saving money by reusing some parts.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Pinion seal change down here (southern va) was close to $250 on my old jeep.

Does anyone else see an irregularity with the bottom shock mount on the front axle??
I had to look at it again - -> YES, it looks to be mounted outside of the bracket.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, thats how the shock is supposed to be mounted. It doesn't rub anything at all nor does it come close to it at full flex. Thanx tho

Quick Reply: Ruh roh, what do you all think?