Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge XHD rear tire carrier latch

Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the door link pictured in your new catalog. Parts dealers don't seem to have them yet (as well as many of your other cool new products).

Any update on the production schedule?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too had a latch that was wiggling loose. While installing the tire carrier we noticed the latch was loose and at first thought the bolts had not been tightened down, more careful inspection revealed they weren't grabbing the threads and just creeping loose from the weight of the carrier alone. Another member (07jk_co) who helped me with the install came up with this solution and it has worked just fine. We drilled through the latch base and pushed the screws all the way through with the nut on the opposite side. Hasn't come loose since installation.

I would love to pickup the new kit that attaches the carrier to the tailgate as soon as its for sale (pre-order/forum discount eh eh? ). Awesome addition to offer - Keep up updated!

The latch is a minor fixable hiccup. This is a great bumper in terms of quality and budget. Thanks for the solid product Rugged Ridge
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this thread is three years old but as this issue almost killed me this morning I figured I would add to the thread. This morning coming into work on the expressway my latch decided to let loose at 60 miles an hour. The sudden weight shift of the tire carrier and 35 swinging around and smaking the side of my Jeep coupled with the scare it gave me almost caused me to hit a guard rail. The safety pin was in place and as the bumper and tire carrier are only about a year old I assume I have the new latch. I can't tell if the latch is bad or if it is the piece the latch hooks into but I can replicate the problem by giving the tire carrier a good tug. I have emailed Rugged Ridge so hopefully we can get this fixed. This is my second Jeep I have had an XHD rear bumper setup on and never had an issue with the first.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nachostheclown
I know this thread is three years old but as this issue almost killed me this morning I figured I would add to the thread. This morning coming into work on the expressway my latch decided to let loose at 60 miles an hour. The sudden weight shift of the tire carrier and 35 swinging around and smaking the side of my Jeep coupled with the scare it gave me almost caused me to hit a guard rail. The safety pin was in place and as the bumper and tire carrier are only about a year old I assume I have the new latch. I can't tell if the latch is bad or if it is the piece the latch hooks into but I can replicate the problem by giving the tire carrier a good tug. I have emailed Rugged Ridge so hopefully we can get this fixed. This is my second Jeep I have had an XHD rear bumper setup on and never had an issue with the first.
My latch has broken as well, I have my tire carrier tied to the tailgate handle.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a weak point on the handle. A pin that breaks, it goes into these holes I'm pointing at hereClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1379343583077.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	497840 and for thru the home here above my thumb knuckleClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1379343623449.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	497841 the other hole is for ur pin. Once mine broke i just used the big pin that drops down into the bumper itself.(kinda like a hotel for lock) I forgot to stop the pin before and my carrier swung open too....scared the Hell outta me! After that, i contacted RR on here and they were more than happy to replace my handle for me. The new handle they sent me the pin that broke send to be much stronger like it's forged in there in areas of just a pin dropped in. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE
Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdk
My latch has broken as well, I have my tire carrier tied to the tailgate handle.
That's how mine currently is. Used a bungee cord.

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
There is a weak point on the handle. A pin that breaks, it goes into these holes I'm pointing at hereAttachment 497840 and for thru the home here above my thumb knuckleAttachment 497841 the other hole is for ur pin. Once mine broke i just used the big pin that drops down into the bumper itself.(kinda like a hotel for lock) I forgot to stop the pin before and my carrier swung open too....scared the Hell outta me! After that, i contacted RR on here and they were more than happy to replace my handle for me. The new handle they sent me the pin that broke send to be much stronger like it's forged in there in areas of just a pin dropped in. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE
I sent an email to them this morning and havent heard back from them as of yet. If I don't hear anything by the end of the day I will follow your advice and contact them through the forums.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi

That's how mine currently is. Used a bungee cord.

I sent an email to them this morning and havent heard back from them as of yet. If I don't hear anything by the end of the day I will follow your advice and contact them through the forums.
The way i was treated by them, i HIGHLY RECOMMEND this company!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://youtu.be/bPRl_UKJE34 Here is a quick video of what it is doing. I think the latch is just worn out. Crazy that could happen in about a year.

Last edited by nachostheclown; 09-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Update to my issue. Rugged Ridge is sending out a new latch for me free of charge. Great customer service.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi

Update to my issue. Rugged Ridge is sending out a new latch for me free of charge. Great customer service.
Exactly the same for me! Excellent customer service!

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge XHD rear tire carrier latch