Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge XHD rear tire carrier latch

Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge
Guys... Just give our customer service a call and we will get this taken care of. We did stop shipping the carriers after a couple of reports were sent into us. We checked inventory and replaced latches as needed. Current stock is correct.

We are also working on a new part that will be a reto-fit upgrade to all the older XHD bumpers. It ties the tailgate to the carrier. The tailgate is not used for support but is used to swing the carrier open with the tailgate. You will simply release the carriers latch and then open the tailgate. The carrier swings open in conjuction. To close you simply close the tailgate and the carrier swings back with it. You then simply lock thr latch. You will now have 3 safety measures to insure a carrier does not open on the road.

(1) the latch
(2) latch pin
(3) the tailgate and factory latch

More to come.

Can't wait to see what this will look like. If this is anything like the AEV or Expedition one tire carriers....I'm buying!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funtimes
Ok so I called your customer service team and the lady I talked to had no clue about what I was talking about and told me I needed to contact who I bought it from (Northridge) and give them the latch part # and then Northridge would probably just call me or call you guys and give you guys my info then would probably send out the part to them and then send part to me....# 1.. I have no idea what the part # to the latch is and #2.. Let me know where the EASY BUTTON is will ya... Oh by the way I love this bumper also, would recommend it to anybody..
Soooooo sorry... What is your address? I'll get this taken care of myself!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:29 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Loadbreak
Can't wait to see what this will look like. If this is anything like the AEV or Expedition one tire carriers....I'm buying!
Keep in mind that it will work in conjuction with the latch. You will still need to pull your safety pin, release the latch and then open the tailgate.

To close you will be able to use the tailgate handle, close the gate and then lock the latch and insert safety pin. It makes it a little more user friendly.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Great! Now just get'em ready for sale! Of course at a reasonable price for those loyal customers (like me)!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge
Keep in mind that it will work in conjuction with the latch. You will still need to pull your safety pin, release the latch and then open the tailgate.

To close you will be able to use the tailgate handle, close the gate and then lock the latch and insert safety pin. It makes it a little more user friendly.
That works for me! I get into my tailgate alot (2-door) so not having to hold the tire carier partially open just to open the tailgate is awesome. This way I only have to hold open one thing since they are tied together! The added latch is a great idea for security ove the other Co's I mentioned. Post pics when you can.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Loadbreak
That works for me! I get into my tailgate alot (2-door) so not having to hold the tire carier partially open just to open the tailgate is awesome. This way I only have to hold open one thing since they are tied together! The added latch is a great idea for security ove the other Co's I mentioned. Post pics when you can.
OK... here are early photos of the prototype. It shows where it attaches.
Looks like this will be a stand alone item that is a retro fit to the rear carrier.

The prototype is mounted to the carrier using self tapping bolts. These are the same bolts that have been used for years to attach side steps to CJ's-TJ's so we know they are strong.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Swing out bracket 1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	37367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swing out bracket 2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	37368  
Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

sweet make it cheap!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Will there be some type of quick connect that will allow the carrier to be swung out independent of the back door if so desired?

It looks like the bumper stops in your pics have more adjustment than mine do. Even spaced/slid all the way in, I still had to use the Daystars bumpers and trim them down a bit. Are there a newer version available?

Sounds like a good forum deal for pricing?

Last edited by kflash; 02-18-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking buying a new rear bumper at the momment. I like the look of the tether for the tail gate. The quick disconnect idea is a decent though as well, but in some respects not as much of an issue if you are going from a stock bumper with the tire mounted on the door.

What are your thoughts on a production timeline for the product. If I order a bumper from Northridge4x4.ca this week I have no doubt I'll have to get this as an add on later on. But if I don't end up getting the bumper until may or so, will these be in production at that time.

Will have to keep an eye on this as it is on my short list of bumpers to look at.

Cheers

JKDad
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JKDad
I am looking buying a new rear bumper at the momment. I like the look of the tether for the tail gate. The quick disconnect idea is a decent though as well, but in some respects not as much of an issue if you are going from a stock bumper with the tire mounted on the door.

What are your thoughts on a production timeline for the product. If I order a bumper from Northridge4x4.ca this week I have no doubt I'll have to get this as an add on later on. But if I don't end up getting the bumper until may or so, will these be in production at that time.

Will have to keep an eye on this as it is on my short list of bumpers to look at.

Cheers

JKDad
It will be an add on item.

If all goes as planned, we should be shipping some time this summer. Don't quote me on this... please

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge XHD rear tire carrier latch