Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge XHD rear tire carrier latch

Old 02-15-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Rugged Ridge for the responses and updates about the new upgrade to incorporate the tailgate. Let me know when this comes out...it would make the process of opening the back door much more convenient. I have worked with your customer service twice and have gotten a quick response both times. I currently have your front and rear bumpers, evap skid plate and front skid plate.

Question - will this negate the need to use the rubber bumpers on the back of the tailgate?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep with bumper 004.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	37237

Name:	Jeep with bumper 021.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	37238

Name:	rear with tire carrier.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	37239

Name:	Evap Skid Plate 004.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	37240

Last edited by kflash; 02-15-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funtimes
so is this the newer latch or ???? I don't need this swinging open at EJS and rolling me down a cliff....
Please call out customer service team and they will get you taken care of ASAP if you need a new latch.

We are taking care of any latches that might have a loose feel to them.
There was a limited number and we held inventory when this was noted.

Some made it out the door before it as isolated. ...
Old 02-16-2010, 03:53 AM
Former Vendor

:
Originally Posted by YingYang
This works great, I have (had) the same latch and it swung out on its own. Check out this thread. Works like a champ!!! Have not had any problems ever since. Even sent the info to Rugged Ridge.

I am hanging a 37" tire on the carrier now @ 127lbs. No problems.

The old handle can make a really good paper weight.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/read-if-you-have-rugged-ridge-xhd-tire-carrier-86837/
Sorry for the dislike and we did get your e-mail. We had looked at a number of latches, including your type, but felt ours offered both strength and style. In the end you can have a problem with anything no matter how hard you try to avoid it... Look at Toyota .. You think they saw their problem coming??

.... As noted....the limited run of loose latches have been fixed.. This design has been tested and ran for many years. I have been running this same latch on my tire carrier for 4 years now... My CJ7 is used hard and carriers a 35" Krawler (very very heavy!). It's been layed over 2 times and one 3/4 roll with the carrrier never opening.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Former Vendor

[QUOTE=kflash;1565645]

Question - will this negate the need to use the rubber bumpers on the back of the tailgate?

No.. the rubber bumpers are there to help keep everything nice and snug. They do a great job helping to reduce rattles that everybody hates.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge
Please call out customer service team and they will get you taken care of ASAP if you need a new latch.

It seems to be nice and snug....I bought this ohhh 3-4 months ago so is this the newest latch...I don't need RR sending me out one if this is the newest style..
Old 02-16-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

:

Sorry for the dislike and we did get your e-mail. We had looked at a number of latches, including your type, but felt ours offered both strength and style. In the end you can have a problem with anything no matter how hard you try to avoid it... Look at Toyota .. You think they saw their problem coming??

.... As noted....the limited run of loose latches have been fixed.. This design has been tested and ran for many years. I have been running this same latch on my tire carrier for 4 years now... My CJ7 is used hard and carriers a 35" Krawler (very very heavy!). It's been layed over 2 times and one 3/4 roll with the carrrier never opening.
Agree, did have a nice conversation with you via PM. I purchased mine when they first came out and had to do something in the meantime and this was a great fix and still is.

I would still be interested in the new attachment with the gate when it becomes available.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welding Is the definitive treatment!!! This was my fix and if this fails then I most likely have other problems. Sorry Rugged Ridge but you were a day late and a dollar short. and yes I know I am posting late but I forgot I started this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	37268   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	37269   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	37270  
Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CruserBruiser
Welding Is the definitive treatment!!! This was my fix and if this fails then I most likely have other problems. Sorry Rugged Ridge but you were a day late and a dollar short. and yes I know I am posting late but I forgot I started this thread.
Sorry.. You originally posted on a Saturday (2nd) and we responded back on the following Monday (4th)...

We tried...
Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its okay guys I still think you got the best looking and toughest rear bumper out there. I secretly want someone to rear end me so I can see what carnage it will inflict on a mere sedan!!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so I called your customer service team and the lady I talked to had no clue about what I was talking about and told me I needed to contact who I bought it from (Northridge) and give them the latch part # and then Northridge would probably just call me or call you guys and give you guys my info then would probably send out the part to them and then send part to me....# 1.. I have no idea what the part # to the latch is and #2.. Let me know where the EASY BUTTON is will ya... Oh by the way I love this bumper also, would recommend it to anybody..

Last edited by funtimes; 02-16-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge XHD rear tire carrier latch