Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper Install Issue - Help!!!

Old 12-05-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper Install Issue - Help!!!

So I went into this installation figuring it would be problem free, but I can even get the bumper to mount to the brackets. With the bumper placed right in the center of the Jeep my mounting holes look like this:

Like the instructions said, I've left the mounting plate bolts untightened. What am I doing wrong here?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Hope someone posts soon, I'm thinking about drilling the holes out.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the holes are not lining up. I personally wouldn't drill ASAP. I would either contact Rugged Ridge or wait for another member to respond to this...

Drilling = RUST
Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
It looks like the holes are not lining up. I personally wouldn't drill ASAP. I would either contact Rugged Ridge or wait for another member to respond to this...

Drilling = RUST
Thanks for the reply. I decided to hold off on drilling because it would have meant drilling out 12 holes (8 for the shackles, and 4 for the tire carrier). Even if after drilling out all 12 holes it might change the position of the tire carrier so much that it wouldn't line up with the latch assembly on the other side.

This sucks :/
Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Did you try starting some bolts atleast? it might give enough play to get them all in.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a common issue on the rugged ridge rear bumper. Place a large philips screwdriver in one of the holes and pry til the other three line up. Insert the bolts and you're done.

I've installed 3 of these rear bumpers..... each one had the same issue.

It's gonna be a little rought for just one person to do it since you are also having to install the tire carrier brackets.

Definately do not drill!!!! It's not necessary....

Last edited by UGOTKERN; 12-05-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a second set of hands to hold the bumper out and start all the bolts and draw them in togather I WOULD NOT drill them out contact them and hace a new one sent out with a return "postage paid" lable (i hate when that shit happens)
Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
This is a common issue on the rugged ridge rear bumper. Place a large philips screwdriver in one of the holes and pry til the other three line up. Insert the bolts and you're done.

I've installed 3 of these rear bumpers..... each one had the same issue.

It's gonna be a little rought for just one person to do it since you are also having to install the tire carrier brackets.

Definately do not drill!!!! It's not necessary....
Thanks for the advice. Should I leave the brackets loose or tighten them down before I do this?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same issue with mine, I finally got so mad I was ready to drill, weld, anything to get the damn thing on there... I finally calmed down and took it to the guy that installed my lift, dont know how he got it on there but I am pretty sure he used the screw driver method that was mentioned earlier.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Same issue with mine. I had my wife and daughter pushing on the bumper while I started the bolts. Keep the bracket bolts loose. I installed the tire carrier later, and had to go through the same issue twice. Just don't try to thread the bolts in with things way out of line. I almost galled the threads doing so.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper Install Issue - Help!!!