Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge XHD, Rear Bumper install issue

Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge XHD, Rear Bumper install issue

I put on my XHD front, end caps, hoop today. Went well, fit well. The rear bumper is a different story.....
The bumper is 1/4" off from the holes on the bumper mating up w/ the brackets that are installed on the frame. Argh! There is NO room for being off with this heavy ass piece of steel. I will call the Vendor / Rugged Ridge on Monday. Not sure if they had a batch of brackets made incorrect or what.

Has anyone else had this problem w/ theirs??? Mine is a 2012.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had to man-handle it to make it fit. I don't think I was off 1/4 of an inch, but it didn't line up exactly for me. I have an '07 though, I know there's a ton of changes from '10 on.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, most guys have problems with the RR lining up. I had to use some elbow grease to get mine to fit. Took two of us and some large nail punches to help center it.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm like WTF?! There is no man handling this one. The bracket itself is 1/4" off on the right side and the one bolt wont align. Thinking I may have to enlargen the one bracket hole to get all bolts in that, then also enlargen the bumper holes. Not what I want to do, but thinking if RR does happen to send me a new bracket it will be the same deal.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a little FYI so please don't take the wrong way. The farthest to the right top hole were the bumper mountie welded on the frame is smaller than then other holes. If you take your bumper off and look at the two mounting plates you will see the other holes are oval slightly. You must start at the farthest top right hole and work from there. The only reason I know is I installed my second bumper the other night and had to drill out that hole. If you put the bolt through the holes you can verify yourself. Use a step up drill bit and widen it a little.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will look at it again and see if I just missed the alignment somehow. My right side bracket seems to be my issue. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its been two years since I installed mine but I remember having the same problem. I wish I could tell you how I did it, but I do remember thinking " I can't believe this bracket is so far off " I eventually got it to line up without drilling anything. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Its been two years since I installed mine but I remember having the same problem. I wish I could tell you how I did it, but I do remember thinking " I can't believe this bracket is so far off " I eventually got it to line up without drilling anything. Good luck.
You need to leave all the bolts loose untill you have everything started I remember it being a real aggrevation. If you bought the tire carrier as well do yourself a favour and return it now the thing will always rattle... I gave up on mine and sold it.

Last edited by rexicon; 03-25-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I went and got a 'unibit' to enlargen two of the holes I needed to on the brackets. Of cousre the POS bit (at $44) is shot after only 2 holes! I still will have to oversize the remaining 8 holes where the tow rings bolt it all together. F-this! I'll call the vendor/RR but am not hopeful. Not sure if it is just a 2012 issue being this far out of whack or what?! I don't have an issue w/ a little tweaking or modification - but this is ridiculous. $1k for a bumper & carrier and this much trouble sucks....

BTW - I did leave bolts loose and have tweaked it all I can.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 65Cobra
So I went and got a 'unibit' to enlargen two of the holes I needed to on the brackets. Of cousre the POS bit (at $44) is shot after only 2 holes! I still will have to oversize the remaining 8 holes where the tow rings bolt it all together. F-this! I'll call the vendor/RR but am not hopeful. Not sure if it is just a 2012 issue being this far out of whack or what?! I don't have an issue w/ a little tweaking or modification - but this is ridiculous. $1k for a bumper & carrier and this much trouble sucks....

BTW - I did leave bolts loose and have tweaked it all I can.
I just installed a RR rear bumper too and one of the brackets was a nightmare I called RR directly not my vendor and RR did send me a new bumper package out immediately and a fedex return label. However, the second set was not much better as the same bracket was still way off. I ended up taking a torch to the hole and enlarging it about 3/8inch. It went fine after that. By the way it was the passenger side rear bracket on both sets I got, the drivers side was perfect in both. Call RR support I will PM you the guy who was very helpful to me. Oh but I wont be buying their tire carrier now after my experience. I will go with the new TF tire carrier next month.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge XHD, Rear Bumper install issue