Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper

Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prey23
Attachment 115331
After some feedback and a little more research on a stubs, I've narrowed my choices to Pure Jeep Stubby or OR Fab. I'm leaning more toward the OR-Fab stubby non-winch/light bar. I wanna keep the front end as light as possible with the aftermarket installed, considering i'll prob have to settle with stock components until i hit the lottery..

Also, i couldn't get enough of photoshop..So, i found someone with a similar setup and modified it to what mine would look like..

To the owner of the jeep depicted, Don't be mad at me
Glad you have narrowed it down! One thing to keep in mind before you completely discard the XHD....hopefully not to confuse your current thinking... is that its modular. You can easily add/remove/change components to it to get whatever desired look or function needed. Originally, I wanted full coverage because I need it to be legal in MA. But I wanted a stubby for off-roading. With the XHD bumper, I can have both and the end caps can easily be put on or taken off. And later, if I want to add a stinger to it...no issues. Just something to keep in mind!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I had issues with my Smitty winch when using the correct mounting holes. The issue I have was the failrlead bolts were too long so I could not have the fairlead installed with everything tight and the winch mounted as well....just not enough room. I tried flipping the bolts over but it was still too long. I ended up grinding the bolts down at least 1/4" in order for the winch to fit correctly with the fairlead attached. Once I grinded them down, no issues!

Not sure why Smittybilt made the fairlead bolts so long? LOL!!! I'm just glad I was at my father's house when I did this since he had a table top grinder which made it easier to do and keep the threading in tact!

If you were unable to get yours to fit and you used the right side holes (the one for the Warn Powerplant) you wil probably want to fix that before you do any serious pulls. You definitely want your winch centered from what I've been told....or more to the point...yelled at when I first posted pics of my not so cenetered winch! If its jst a matter of the fairlead bolts getting in the way, grind them down like I did and you will be all set.
Thanks,,, that is what I'll have to do also.. or buy different ones..
My dad also has a grinder.... I didn't even notice the centering until I saw your picture.... wow how did I not notice that...

thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Originally, I wanted full coverage because I need it to be legal in MA. But I wanted a stubby for off-roading. With the XHD bumper, I can have both and the end caps can easily be put on or taken off.
Thanks man..you got me thinking of another factor that I was oblivious to, the laws on stubby bumpers.

I searched my hometown regs and it seems as if the only restriction on bumpers is dependent on the amount of lift. Here it's limited to 30" max to bottom of bumper.

Anyone know laws on how far a bumper should/shouldn't stick out? or am i overthinking this now..
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by prey23
Thanks man..you got me thinking of another factor that I was oblivious to, the laws on stubby bumpers.

I searched my hometown regs and it seems as if the only restriction on bumpers is dependent on the amount of lift. Here it's limited to 30" max to bottom of bumper.

Anyone know laws on how far a bumper should/shouldn't stick out? or am i overthinking this now..
MA has crappy laws on modifications!! So don't use us as a basis. LOL!! Also, keep in mind that I've been running mine as a stubby for the last few months with no issues and even had it inspected for my state inspection.....I failed...LOL!!!! But it was because my computer was reading "not ready" due to my computer being flashed by the dealer the day before I brought it in. I had no issues with the stubby, my tires sticking out a bit or my lift (although my lift is legal).

So I've learned that even though MA has some stricter rules than other states, some things can easily get by inspection. You just have to be aware of the laws and have a remedy in place in case you are pulled over by the cops. My remedy has been keeping my end caps in my cargo area in case I need them!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Go for the XHD, so far I love mine

Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
Thanks,,, that is what I'll have to do also.. or buy different ones..
My dad also has a grinder.... I didn't even notice the centering until I saw your picture.... wow how did I not notice that...

thanks
I installed the bolts with the heads toward the winch threads out, with the washers it flushes up nicely on the front side. I used a thin wall socket to tighten it down. You could also just jam a large flathead screwdriver in there to lock up the nut against the fairlead until the lockwasher grabs.

I did install the fairlead before the winch, an absolute must. I did not remove the bumper to install the winch and with a second set of hands had absolutely no issue getting it installed. I did use a box wrench loop side/slipped over the end of my ratchet handle to tighten up the bolts underneath to gain extra leverage (essentially a helper bar).

And Yes I used the left side holes and the winch frame is jammed up right against the head of that bolt to the fairlead.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Phantasm
I installed the bolts with the heads toward the winch threads out, with the washers it flushes up nicely on the front side. I used a thin wall socket to tighten it down. You could also just jam a large flathead screwdriver in there to lock up the nut against the fairlead until the lockwasher grabs.

I did install the fairlead before the winch, an absolute must. I did not remove the bumper to install the winch and with a second set of hands had absolutely no issue getting it installed. I did use a box wrench loop side/slipped over the end of my ratchet handle to tighten up the bolts underneath to gain extra leverage (essentially a helper bar).

And Yes I used the left side holes and the winch frame is jammed up right against the head of that bolt to the fairlead.
thanks guys,,, I should have noticed the centering of the winch while installing it.. but didn't even think to look. draw back about never having used a winch probably.. I am reinstalling the winch this weekend.. The one right most inter bolt will be hard to remove without taking the bumper off since its right up next to the fog light cavity.. of well,,, actually looking forward to it..
Maybe the hoop will come in....

Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kneetard

I've read that the rear XHD bumper w/ the tire carrier is a POS and rattles a lot. Is this true? I've seen a couple of off handed remarks like this, so I'd appreciate any feedback. I was all set to order up XHD bumpers and I read those posts. Now I'm all
I've got it. Love the look and add ed beefiness, but the mechanism that is used to swing the gate is a POS...I'm probably going to see if RR rep will hook a brother up with a new one
Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Default i love my xhd front bumper

Click image for larger version

Name:	j180500_1621036642183_1124430028_31450329_7888295_n.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	124253Click image for larger version

Name:	j180996_1621034842138_1124430028_31450321_2728483_n.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	124254
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JDScott10
I've got it. Love the look and add ed beefiness, but the mechanism that is used to swing the gate is a POS...I'm probably going to see if RR rep will hook a brother up with a new one
Seems the latches are hit and miss. I have both front and rear RR and they installed and work with no issues.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper