Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge vs SmittyBilt Fenders?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rugged Ridge vs SmittyBilt Fenders?

i looking at either the smittybilt flat fenders (not the big side armor ones) or the rugged ridge. those two are at a good price point for me (under $300.00).

anyone have thought--good or bad? metal vs plastic? how the fit on them?

is it bad to run fenders without the plastic liners? my jeep is black so i dont' have any color issue on the rear.

and no, i don't want to cut my stock fenders myself..

thanks
steve
Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has one of these, I'll ask which, but they're total crap. They look exactly like home cut fenders but are made of brittle, cheap plastic that cracks easily.

I'd save some extra money for the Bushwacker plastic flats.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the smitty flats. I love the look and they chose great lines, but they are complete crap. The primer they use to prep the flares causes fish eyes and massive bumps in the edge of the flares. The rear fitment also isnt the greatest and leaves some gaps. They are great for the money, but I can't wait to swap them out for psc flares.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it help if they were shot with line-x? Or at least spray on bed liner?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a flap wheel to the worst flare and hit it with some duplicolor bed liner. It came out pretty nice. I didn't do the rest yet because I'm considering taking them to bare metal and powdercoating them white. You could probably get away with taking a large file to the edges to remove all the defects in the finish before bedlining.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge vs SmittyBilt Fenders?