Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge Snorkel Prefilter?

Old 05-31-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge Snorkel Prefilter?

I finally got around to puttin on a Rugged Ridge XHD snorkel, and put high mount on this morning. I am wondering if anyone with this snorkel is using a pre-filter at the top scoop. If so, please share info and pic. I was considering putting a mesh or breathable fabric along the scoop face. Expect someone will have a better idea.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Wow... many reads and no responses. Bumping up, and hoping for some feedback. Also, I have KC lights on window mounts, but had to remove the right light due to installing high mount. Thinking over how to fab a bracket that will move and support light forward of snorkel. Yet another issue I'm looking for advice on. My thoughts is to make bracket to mount in same forward windshield side holes, wrap around the inside of snorkel riser body, then turn back to make mounting platform for light in front of snorkel; with appropriate clearance. Going to weld up bracket soon and probably powder coat black. Again, if any of you have done a mod like this or had someone fab you a light bracket to go around the RR snorkel, please let me know. Sharing is caring.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Many people may have read but may not have your answer to steer you the wrong way. I run the same snorkel. Do you run many dusty trails that your concerned about to run fabric. I've seen guys run the dust bowl style top instead of the scoop that comes with the snorkel.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

You are running the top piece?

Are you expecting water 6' tall..... LOL

As you know I don't run the top, figure if it that deep it is too late.

As far as dust, I haven't been in that bad a dust cloud that it would make a difference.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default Still Thinking

BIGNICK: Thanks for response. I'm not going in too dusty of conditions here in Florida. Just considering options to keep bugs and crap out of the air intake up at the top of scoop. I have seen the round type of pre-filters, but not sure I'd like the look. Still thinking on this.

David: Figure you would find my post, sooner or later. Yes, trying out the high mount snorkel configuration, but not sure if I'm going to stay with it up. My biggest issue is trying to fabricate an alternate light bracket, so I can get the light re-mounted (and get away from just have one up on drivers side.... one eye). Oh, and yes, following you around through the water does lend to having the high mount.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/...0908_4231a.jpg

Last edited by COL V; 06-03-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run the fish bowl and love it. I am here in NW FL (mainly mud) but it works great.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by COL V
BIGNICK: Thanks for response. I'm not going in too dusty of conditions here in Florida. Just considering options to keep bugs and crap out of the air intake up at the top of scoop. I have seen the round type of pre-filters, but not sure I'd like the look. Still thinking on this.

David: Figure you would find my post, sooner or later. Yes, trying out the high mount snorkel configuration, but not sure if I'm going to stay with it up. My biggest issue is trying to fabricate an alternate light bracket, so I can get the light re-mounted (and get away from just have one up on drivers side.... one eye). Oh, and yes, following you around through the water does lend to having the high mount.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/...0908_4231a.jpg
Yea, I thought about having the top piece on and a prefilter but can't stand the look.

I would mount it when we go back out again.

Which BTW, should be soon.

Did you get the videos of Sunday?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Knight, I like your fishbowl. I'm here in Jax myself, so know the mud well.

David, I got your videos, but have yet to watch them all. Yes, time to get out on trails again soon. Let me know your plans.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I don't have that snorkel but run a self cleaning pre cleaner with mine. You can always turn the top of the scoop around backwards so bugs don't fly into it. Many people run it that way in the North to keep snow brom plugging it up.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Good idea Dirtman. Suggestions on the self cleaning pre-cleaner? I'd like to look into one. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Snorkel Prefilter?