Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge Snorkel...Does it Work?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge Snorkel...Does it Work?

I have seen many posts on this forum as well as other forums about people being skeptical on how well the Rugged Ridge snorkel kit works. I've been running it for about 7 months now and never really got to test it. I went through some mud puddles and long, shallow areas of water that would given a CAI and possibly the OEM intake box issues....but I wanted to REALLY test this thing out. So, yesterday I was out on a nice, easy trail (only mild clearance 2WD was needed) to scope out some camping spots and go to an area I've never been. On my way home I saw what was kind of like a beach on a river or creek just off the road; I decided it would be fun to test the snorkel here. As I drive up I take a quick peek at the water and decided it didn't look too bad. It was darker water but I could see the sand a few feet out from the shore. I put it in 4L and proceed into the water, deciding I would drive slowly since I couldn't see too far out. The plan was do just go in, turn around, and get back onto shore to get out and head home. I'm glad I did go slow, because little did I know, where the sand stopped being visible there was a shelf/drop-off. Once the front went down and I saw water just over the hood, I put it in reverse and tried to back out. As I did, the very soft sand just started to let my wheels spin. Even though I became stuck rather quickly, I think it was a good thing in a way, because I kind of anchored in which prevented me from going further into the water. Some people stopped and helped me and I eventually got out and got home with no damage.

When I fell in I left the Jeep running, and left it running the entire time I tried to get it out except for a few times when I took a break to think and evaluate the situation; so the snorkel did it's job. I know that because I had the box completely submerged for a little while.

It wasn't too bad of a situation. At first I was scared of completely going in and making my Jeep a submarine, but once I got "beached" it wasn't bad. I kept calm, talked out a strategy with the guy that helped me out, and we were able to work together with some other help to get me out. It was of course a learning experience.

1. I should have checked the water level better. I know how to do this, but I let my anxiousness overtake my rationality.
2. The snorkel works, and works well. I have heard of some people having failures, but the cases I had seen were to do them installing it in a manner that left a gap in between the rubber hose and the box.
3. There are some really good people out there that are willing to help. I tried to pay them for their time, but they said, "Hey, I've been there. I know what it's like. Don't worry about it. Just glad to see you're ok"

My girlfriend took some photos while I was stuck. Here they are. The top one is from the guy who helped most. He took this shot just before coming to help out. The engine bay/air box pics the following morning. I don;t have any photos of the whole front being under, that was when I first fell in. These photos were after I "anchored" myself, but the box was still at least half way underwater. If you're unfamiliar with the design, the snorkel tubing sits below the box, right above the frame, therefore there is no doubt I had the tubing and part of the box submerged for over an hour:

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see feedback... Glad you were able to get out with help..

I can tell you that the off-road group are a great buch of people... always willing to help another wheeler when in need. Just pay it forward..

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Snorkel...Does it Work?