Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Help

Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Help

For those who have these mirror brackets how hard did you have to pull on the mirror to get it out of the OE bracket. I felt like i was going to rip the whole thing off the door and wiggled it back and forth like the directions said. Thanks for the Help
Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtremeone
For those who have these mirror brackets how hard did you have to pull on the mirror to get it out of the OE bracket. I felt like i was going to rip the whole thing off the door and wiggled it back and forth like the directions said. Thanks for the Help
You removed the bolt from the bottom of the mirror right? Just keep pulling on it and wiggle a bit, it will pop out. I installed mine about a week ago and removed them today. They relocated the passenger side mirror into a spot where it is useless. You can install them in about 20 minutes, so im going to do it when i remove my doors, dont even need to use the cover plate then.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I removed the bolt on the bottom. So I just need to keep wiggling and pulling and it will pop off. Thanks,
Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Put the bolt back in, but not all the way. Then tap it up with a hammer/mallet.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yup this will work too and you dont have to worry about it flying out of your hands when it comes loose. Mine just wiggled off.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the whole thing from the door first, flipped it upside-down, and then sprayed a bit of penetrating oil inside. the body is made of cast magnesium I believe and it seizes up inside the plastics mounting body.

Wait til you get to the remounting part on the RR brackets. My OEM screws were too short so I had to buy longer screws.

And X2 on the passenger side mirror being useless. You'll have like 10-20% of usable view out of that puppy.

Have fun.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be careful if they don't start coming off easy. I think the direction say something like you will have to use a little bit of force. Well I did and I broke the house off of the mirror. Now I have a wobbly piece of black plastic housing covering my mirror.

x3 on the passenger being useless. and after I broke one mirror I sent them back and got Olympic 4x4 that slide into the door hinges. They are bigger, about the same price and IMO look better.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by coorsfan
Be careful if they don't start coming off easy. I think the direction say something like you will have to use a little bit of force. Well I did and I broke the house off of the mirror. Now I have a wobbly piece of black plastic housing covering my mirror.

x3 on the passenger being useless. and after I broke one mirror I sent them back and got Olympic 4x4 that slide into the door hinges. They are bigger, about the same price and IMO look better.
yep i broke my drivers side mirror when i tried installing mine
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Actually use one of the bolts that hold the other mirror to the door. It's the same thread as the one on the bottom of the mirror only it's longer. Hand thread it all the way in, then whack the living shit out of it with a mallet. Your neighbors will think you're completely crazy, but it will pop off.

As far as the visibility of the passenger side mirror, it's fine with the doors off. Isn't that the point anyway?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As far as the visibility of the passenger side mirror, it's fine with the doors off. Isn't that the point anyway?
Yep, that's my opinion also. But you always get guys whining and posting complaints because they couldn't be bothered to read the big cautions when they bought the things.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Help