Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged ridge hd tire carrier kit

Old 07-25-2016, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged ridge hd tire carrier kit

After doing my research I went ahead and went with the rugged ridge heavy duty carrier kit. Installation was a piece of cake. Mounting the 35 was a bit of a hassle by myself. I just pulled out the shop to give it a test run and I still get hefty amount of rattle. I re torqued everything to spec and even tried reinforcing by sticking pieces of foam between the bracket and the wheel to apply pressure..that helped a bit but the rattle is still there...from what I've been told...this kit is supposed to be very quiet and reliable. Has anyone ran into this issue?
Old 07-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Which model of this kit? I have the one that opens with the tail gate and wish I had not purchased it. I like their bumper but hate the tire carrier. Mine is 11546.25.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Which model of this kit? I have the one that opens with the tail gate and wish I had not purchased it. I like their bumper but hate the tire carrier. Mine is 11546.25.
mine is 11546.50
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1112551240.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	653107  
Old 07-25-2016, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugahrahj
After doing my research I went ahead and went with the rugged ridge heavy duty carrier kit. Installation was a piece of cake. Mounting the 35 was a bit of a hassle by myself. I just pulled out the shop to give it a test run and I still get hefty amount of rattle. I re torqued everything to spec and even tried reinforcing by sticking pieces of foam between the bracket and the wheel to apply pressure..that helped a bit but the rattle is still there...from what I've been told...this kit is supposed to be very quiet and reliable. Has anyone ran into this issue?
Rugged Ridge is not a company synonymous with reliability, let alone quality. Unfortunately, there is probably little you can do to correct this short of replacing it. All of RR's products are made in China and compared to products they emulate that made in the USA, they're incredibly inferior.

Last edited by Spank; 07-25-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Your research unfortunately didn't reveal the poor build quality of RR. They'll try to make it right though, just contact the place you purchased from and if that goes nowhere then contact RR directly. They'll help you.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Guess I'll have to live with the rattle till I can afford a decent carrier. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the Teraflex copy? If it is, you should be able to adjust the depth of the lug plate and main plate. I'd try moving it back further so the torque on the lugs keeps the tire squished firmly against the bracket. That's what Tera calls for and mine has never made a single squeak.

To me it looks like the RR instructions are bs...

Rugged ridge:
"When adjusting wheel position,
make sure wheel and tire are as close as possible to the vehicle/Wheel Mount without touching. "

Step 2: enjoy your rattles.

Teraflex:
"-Slide the mount into the base on the tailgate, push the tire firmly up against the cast hinge
-Mark a line on the mount where it meets the base, remove spare tire and mount assembly
-Remove the mount from the tire, using marked line as a reference, push mount in 1/8” - 3/16” (3 - 4 mm) past line"

PS. My sincere apologies to Teraflex for having to use their instructions to keep helping the clones
Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
I got the same tire carrier and I love it. I had it for 2 years. Easy install and never had a rattle. I got Rugged Ridge front and rear bumpers and tire carrier, and I absolutely love them. Just my experience!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by munir
Is this the Teraflex copy? If it is, you should be able to adjust the depth of the lug plate and main plate. I'd try moving it back further so the torque on the lugs keeps the tire squished firmly against the bracket. That's what Tera calls for and mine has never made a single squeak. To me it looks like the RR instructions are bs... Rugged ridge: "When adjusting wheel position, make sure wheel and tire are as close as possible to the vehicle/Wheel Mount without touching. " Step 2: enjoy your rattles. Teraflex: "-Slide the mount into the base on the tailgate, push the tire firmly up against the cast hinge -Mark a line on the mount where it meets the base, remove spare tire and mount assembly -Remove the mount from the tire, using marked line as a reference, push mount in 1/8€ - 3/16€ (3 - 4 mm) past line" PS. My sincere apologies to Teraflex for having to use their instructions to keep helping the clones
Thanks! I'm going to have to try this today. The only reason my spare wasn't rattling before was because I kept the stock bumper and the spare sat on top of it...I swapped to a 10A and since the tire sits freely...RATTLE.

Quick Reply: Rugged ridge hd tire carrier kit