Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge Front Skid Plate - problems for 2010 Wrangler

Old 09-05-2010, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge Front Skid Plate - problems for 2010 Wrangler

I just purchased a front bumper and skid plate from Rugged Ridge. It's a great bumper but everyone should be aware that the skid plate requires some trimming to the crossmember to fit on a 2010.

On the side of the front crossmember Jeep installed a plate and it hangs about 1/4" below the crossmember and won't let the skid plate sit flush which won't let you attach it to the mounting brackets

Just thought everyone thinking of buying this should know ahead what you need to do to make it fit.

The pic shows what I am talking about (in the red circle)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014..jpg
Views:	450
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	86787  
Old 09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm...I see that.....my 07 doesn't have that end plate and it fit great...that sucks.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. Thanks for the heads up. Looking to pull the trigger on a XHD and was leaning toward adding the skid. Maybe RR will post to this thread.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

The trimming is not too bad....a cut off wheel works great but, after trimming the 1/4" inch off there is a little problem with getting a wrench in there to tighten the bolts to the crossmember.

What I did was after cutting the 1/4", I cut the front weld on that "cover" and trimmed a little more and had to use an offset box wrench(see pic) to hold onto the nut. It's not too hard, just took a little figuring out....still a fantastic skid plate and bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	00944350000-1..jpg
Views:	119
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	86939  
Old 09-06-2010, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the heads up. I have a '10, a RR Stubby Tube bumper, and would gladly test out RR's revised version if they'd send me one!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
Subscribed. Thanks for the heads up. Looking to pull the trigger on a XHD and was leaning toward adding the skid. Maybe RR will post to this thread.
We have updated the instructions regarding the 2010 change. We have also changed the hardware to include nut plates so that the bolts can be started without trying to get a wrench inside the cross-bar. At this time we are still trying to work throught the current inventory.. Should have 2010 corrected stock soon. We have also found that some models require you to drill one mounting hole.

Sorry for the issue... Sometimes these changes are made and you just don't know about it until they are already in the market. ..
Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

No problem....just took a little figuring out, looks great by the way!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Just tried installing my front skid and found the same problem. Wish I had looked on here first but the instructions that came with mine did not include any info on the 2010 change! I thought the hardest part of the install was going to be the brackets since I have a Rubi and needed to remove the sway bar bolts completely. While that was a slight pain, I got through it quickly and was on my way to saying, "wow, this is an easy install"....Guess I was a bit premature!

Unfortunately for me, I don't have the necessary tools to cut the crossmember so I have to wait until I can get to my brother in law's house to borrow his stuff.

Based on the updated instructions, looks like cutting, drilling and possbly having to take off the bumper??? Hopefully not the XHD bumper...that will suck big time!

I was so looking forward to sporting my new skid with my XHD bumper this weekend on my trail ride.....
Old 11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Hummm...
I got a 2010 Rubi and just installed the plate without trimming.
All the bolts lined after a bit of wiggle. I still have to drill the hole for the last cross member bolt. I used an Ikea wrench to hold the cross member bolt in place.
My instructions didn't mention the trim or the missing hole. Should I be worried?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

When abouts will the "new" stock be available for 2010 owners? And will they fit without cutting?

Last edited by JaxLoki; 11-29-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Front Skid Plate - problems for 2010 Wrangler