Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged ridge 8500 winch, any good?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged ridge 8500 winch, any good?

I have a chance to buy a Rugged Ridge 8500 winch for a good deal tonight but I havent heard much about them. Is it a good winch or should I maybe get a smittybuilt for about the same money. The one he has is a scratch and dent for $200 and change. I'm also picking up a XHD winch bumper from him for $250 which I feel is a bargain. Folks seem to like them that have them.
Any input on the winch would be appriciated.

Keith

08 Rubicon 2dr
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

I can't comment on the winch, but the bumper is great. $200 seems to be a great deal regardless. What type of line? synthetic or steel wire.

Here is a picture of my bumper with winch. I recommend if you still have the stock fog lights, to get yourself a set of 4" Pilot or Navigator lights from Autozone or PepBoys, they are both the same and cost $39. They are much better than the stock fogs and since you are removing the bumper already its an easy swap. Don't forget you have to reuse the stock fog light housings. Have fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	142949
Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

I picked up my bumper and got home about 6pm, I got to work on it and by 7:30 I was ready to roll for some BBQ with my new bumper installed. It was an easy install except for those stupid plastic anchor screws that Jeep uses to put the plastic shield under the bumper on with. What a POS those are. I took a hack saw to them and moved on. I love the new bumper now it's time for winch shopping. I passed on the Rugged Ridge he was trying to sell me. It had been used for a demo and figured I could get one from 4WD parts for about the same money with a warranty plus they are just a couple of miles from my place. If anyone in Atlanta area needs a winch let me know he's got the Rugged Ridge 8500 with new cable for $225

Quick Reply: Rugged ridge 8500 winch, any good?