Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicrawler ... anyone using one?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't correct your pinion angle you'll probably have problems with any transfercase.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
If you don't correct your pinion angle you'll probably have problems with any transfercase.
For those of you that have lifted and put in the Cardan CV drive shafts can you feel any drive line vibration?

I probably have about 6° angle at the front axle pinion but I don't feel any vibration at all.

But I had the front pinion bearing destroy itself about a 1000 miles after I lifted it and put 5:13s put in. I was very religious about the setup when I did the regearing and am terrified that the driveshaft - pinion angle was the cause and it will occur again.

Mike
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepwater
For those of you that have lifted and put in the Cardan CV drive shafts can you feel any drive line vibration?

I probably have about 6° angle at the front axle pinion but I don't feel any vibration at all.

But I had the front pinion bearing destroy itself about a 1000 miles after I lifted it and put 5:13s put in. I was very religious about the setup when I did the regearing and am terrified that the driveshaft - pinion angle was the cause and it will occur again.

Mike
Yep, that's the problem. You trade-off between pinion and caster, get it to where you have acceptable handling and don't 'feel' the vibes, and hope...

I don't recall any of the guys that lost t-cases saying that they felt vibrations until immediately prior to the meltdown. They let off the gas and started pulling over, but it was already too late.

What were the signs of your pinion bearing going out?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yep, that's the problem. You trade-off between pinion and caster, get it to where you have acceptable handling and don't 'feel' the vibes, and hope...

I don't recall any of the guys that lost t-cases saying that they felt vibrations until immediately prior to the meltdown. They let off the gas and started pulling over, but it was already too late.

What were the signs of your pinion bearing going out?
After about 40 miles in the desert stopped for dinner and noticed that there was an oil puddle under the diff and oil slung all over the underside.

Fortunately I have the spyntek hubs and freewheeled them for the trip home. At home found that the pinion was flopping around in the housing. No noise at all to warn me.

The front pinion bearing cage was all chewed up and the rollers were grinding into the race flange. The magnetic coil on the locking diff magnetizes the carrier and ring gear and there was iron filling whiskers sticking out from them all over.

Big clean up job, had to disassemble the locker completely and clean all the fillings out. The ring and pinion were not in too bad shape so I reinstalled everything with a master rebuild kit.

I do not want to have to do that again.

Mike
Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have freewheeling hubs why would you be driving with them locked in unless you were offroad? Your pinion angle wouldn't be near as important as your caster. You could run 6 deg and without the drive shaft spinning it wouldn't make a differance. I have a PR 44 with the extra caster built in so I run 6.25 deg caster and the pinion is pointed up 3.75 deg. Coast driveshafts no vibes. I wish I had the manual hubs though.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Will the rubi crawler work in an automatic sahara? or only with the rubi transfer case?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MikeReo
Will the rubi crawler work in an automatic sahara? or only with the rubi transfer case?
Should work on any model Wrangler, ie....Rubicon, Sahara, Sport/X.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
If you have freewheeling hubs why would you be driving with them locked in unless you were offroad? Your pinion angle wouldn't be near as important as your caster. You could run 6 deg and without the drive shaft spinning it wouldn't make a differance. I have a PR 44 with the extra caster built in so I run 6.25 deg caster and the pinion is pointed up 3.75 deg. Coast driveshafts no vibes. I wish I had the manual hubs though.
I sometimes forget to unlock them when I am airing up and yakking with the rest of the group. I have forgotten to lock them occasionally as well and wondered why I can't get over the rock pile like I should. I put them on because the Rubi fronts had the reputation for spinning off the ujoint clips and self destructing. If i blow something up in the front axle I can get home without trail surgery.

I am seriously considering an axle like that, wish they had that when I started reinforcing my stocker.

Mike
Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeReo
They work in any TJ or JK Wrangler with an automatic. Mines an 07 Sahara, the Rubicrawler is a great addition.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

What gear ratio do most people who run this have? Would having a 5.38 be to low ?!?

Quick Reply: Rubicrawler ... anyone using one?