Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon or Sport??

Old 07-29-2019, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkg
if you're only hitting rocks 2-3x/year, why replace rubicon axles?
Bc chromoly aftermarket axles provide an additional level of comfort when running 35s...37s...

... and these would offer more “comfort” still
https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemb...r-jeep-jk.html

While NO setup is “bulletproof”, chromoly after market axles with some additional help such as trusses, c-gussets, and u-joint upgrades will certainly be stronger and offer more peace of mind even if only hitting the rocks ONCE a year. And the aforementioned full axle swap will increase said peace of mind.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Check the price differences. Rubi axles will sell for a whole lot more than the 'give-a-way or salvage just to get them out of the garage' 30/44 combo, and take-off e-discos and the stock rubi tires/wheels seem to sell well. So if you can score a good deal on a rubicon, it just might make sense.

But yeah, go for a non-rubi, then add a rubi tcase or atlas if/when you decide you need one.
For what it's worth, around my area stock rubi axles fetch between $3k - $3500, and the e-disco about $350. Factory D30/44 combo is $1k-$1300 maybe. So, if you can find a rubi within $2500 of a sport, you're pretty much getting the TC for free if you look at it that way....or if paying more than $2500 difference, that is the cost of your TC and maybe a few more luxuries.

Originally Posted by Savvytravvy
513 seem kinda high for the 36 motor. I’ve always heard 4.88s for 37s and know a guy that runs 40s no problem and recommends
For someone that is mainly pavement, I'd say 4.88 is ideal for 37s, BUT, if you're going to wheel the thing lower is better....5.13. 5.38 is too low though unless it's just a trail rig that's towed everywhere. If you have a rubi TC, definitely 4.88 would be the way to go cuz that 4.1 TC gonna take care of your offroad issues. if you have the sport, then you'd want to go that extra bit lower.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:23 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by No_No_JK
Bc chromoly aftermarket axles provide an additional level of comfort when running 35s...37s...

... and these would offer more “comfort” still
https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemb...r-jeep-jk.html

While NO setup is “bulletproof”, chromoly after market axles with some additional help such as trusses, c-gussets, and u-joint upgrades will certainly be stronger and offer more peace of mind even if only hitting the rocks ONCE a year. And the aforementioned full axle swap will increase said peace of mind.
I certainly agree that the aftermarket axles would be stronger and offer peace of mind... but $10K+ is expensive peace of mind...

Originally Posted by resharp001
For someone that is mainly pavement, I'd say 4.88 is ideal for 37s, BUT, if you're going to wheel the thing lower is better....5.13. 5.38 is too low though unless it's just a trail rig that's towed everywhere. If you have a rubi TC, definitely 4.88 would be the way to go cuz that 4.1 TC gonna take care of your offroad issues. if you have the sport, then you'd want to go that extra bit lower.
My Rubi (3.6/6-speed) has 4.56's with 35's. It's a pretty good combo.
The following users liked this post:
Savvytravvy (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=bkg;4346204]I certainly agree that the aftermarket axles would be stronger and offer peace of mind... but $10K+ is expensive peace of mind...

... that it is, no doubt. That’s why I’ve been weighing the options of sport vs Rubi. If the Rubi all thing else being the same is 5k more expensive than the sport. And the Rubi (in my opinion) would still need new chromoly axles front and rear. Re-geared. Cs. And trussed. So that extra 5k for the Rubi is now what, 7? 7+?. That makes the 5k saving for the sport that much more palatable Bc now that 5k has cut my new crate axle set price in HALF. And those axles will be stronger and more capable to boot.
The following users liked this post:
Savvytravvy (07-29-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

If I bought new I would go Sport. Then I would do suspension, shocks, sway bar disconnect, gears (no more than 4.88 if you are running 37" tires) and lockers. That should eat up the difference between the Rubicon and would make a Jeep pretty much like a Ruby. Only other thing I would splurge on is perhaps an Atlas TC. The gearing would be a compromise as you say rocks only 2 or 3 times a year.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming you'll go with an auto trans, to me, it depends on the trails you do the rest of the year. If you're always doing slow trails the Rubi T-case is ok. If you're doing more open trails or mud you'll want the sport t-case. I've only wished for a lower t-case a handful of times. I have friends that have changed out their 3.8 or 4.3 Atlas' for 3.0. Other friends have changed out their Rubi cases because they were in and out of high range too much.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:11 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

does AA still make the rubi-crawler? If so, I may have to change my vote...
Old 08-11-2019, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Man, for what you want to do I'd say get a Sport and build away. Everything on any Rubi you get will be scrapped cept the TC, and that's not the end-all-be-all IMO as long as you're geared properly.
This exactly. Was talking it over with a friend and if I were to recreate my JK, I'd skip the Rubicon package as the only thing left that is Rubicon is the transfer case. For the sticker difference, you'd be money ahead to go with a sport and swap the case to a factory Rubicon, or an Atlas twin stick for not much more.

On the bright side, you're already ahead of the game knowing that it's a waste of time and money to do all the "upgrades" to a 44 platform and expect them to live with 37's. I'm running 5.38's with 40's and I've never trailered it anywhere. I've also got the mighty 3.8 and a 4 speed, so I need that extra help. I've driven her to Moab 3 times now from Phoenix, taken her to San Carlos, Mexico (about 400 miles the other direction) and never missed a beat.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bkg
does AA still make the rubi-crawler? If so, I may have to change my vote...
They still make it for the 07-11 JK (with auto trans). It's a great option!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

I've built 2 JK's similarly to your end goal, both Rubicons, both built myself in my driveway. If I were to do a 3rd I'd start with a bone stock highly optioned 2012+ Sport and add:
-Front ProRock/RockJock 44 Housing, Select-able Locker & Shafts
-Rear Regear 44 & add Select-able Locker (Its a very strong housing, a truss really isn't even necessary with 37's)
-Rubi 4:1 Tcase
-4.88's & 37's

Quick Reply: Rubicon or Sport??