Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Shocks....Are they good quality?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Shocks....Are they good quality?

Looking to put a Rough Country 2.5" budget lift on. The kit comes with shock extensions. How do the Rubicon shocks compare to an aftermarket shock? Are they still good? The Jeep is a daily driver but I would like it to be able to play a bit on the weekends. Any thoughts on shocks?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Rubicon shocks seem to be fine, and will probably be fine for many highway miles. Don't expect them to be great shocks after a lot of off-road pounding, but if you have a set might as well use them up and then go shopping.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

A former Jeep engineer, who now works for AEV told me that he was involved in the design of the TJ and JK Rubicon suspension system. He said the factory Rubicon shocks are as good as money can buy, on and off road. I don't personally have much knowledge about shocks, but I thought I'd pass this on.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

thanks guy's!!! This forum continues to be a great help
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

I replaced my Ruby shocks at 15K with Bilstein HDs. Night and day difference in ride quality and handling.I know folks love the Rubi shocks, but I was not impressed on-road with them. They worked fine off-road, but were weak to me on the street. I have not been disappointed on or off-road with the billy HDs. I should of put them on right after I bought my Jeep.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He said the factory Rubicon shocks are as good as money can buy, on and off road.
They may be better than the Sport and Sahara shocks, but I doubt they are better than the Bilsteins, OME, Fox, Elka etc, etc....
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are decent for what they are. I swapped out my stock X shocks for a set from a Rubi and it was a huge improvement on and off road. I have since installed the RC lift in my sig. I liked the Rubi shocks better on the road, but I like the RC 2.2 shocks better offroad. I have ridden in JK's with bilsteins and OME shocks. Either one would be an upgrade to anything I've had on my Jeep, but I can't justify the cost unless I was going with a taller lift.

I would consider replacing the Rubi shocks in the long term, but if you are getting shock extensions with the kit......then I would just run them. If you decide you don't like the ride, then start shopping for replacements, but I would at least give them a shot.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

I have never seen a set fail unless they are abused.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Ok. This is what I am planning. 2.5" Rough Country spacer lift with 4DR Rubicon stock shocks and springs to be installed on a 2DR Sport S Jeep. Will this be a nice combo for a tiny budget? I'm getting the shocks and springs for $100 and they are brand new.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the Rubicon shocks were just Monroe's?

Quick Reply: Rubicon Shocks....Are they good quality?