Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon shocks/springs on Sahara--asked dealer for install quote and got this reply

Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shredd_guy
I would not do just the shocks. unless you need new shocks. springs should way out last your shocks. You shouldnt ever have to replace your springs. Put them both in and do it your self go get a jack from Northern tool and get e done. if you get stuck you have your bike

Is the dealer in Hopkins?
Yes, Hopkins! I hadn't gotten a bad vibe from them before this inquiry. Bought the Jeep from Park but this one is much closer for service...

Regarding your response, I'm a little confused. Do you mean you would just do the shocks? (you wrote NOT just do the shocks--but then you wrote you should never have to replace the springs).

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdebol
Thanks for the quick reply. Wouldn't/shouldn't the Jeep dealership service dept know how similar they are?!
One would think they would. They are either very dishonest and trying to take advantage of you, or they are really that dumb and I'd be afraid to give them any vehicle
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I can understand working a lot or just preferring to have someone else do the install.

Just don't talk yourself into thinking it is too difficult. Loosen a few bolts, remove a few bolts, remove the shock, remove the coil, replace the coil, replace the shock, put a few bolts back in, shake the jeep a few times to let it all settle, tighten/torque all bolts. Time consuming, not difficult.

If you aren't interested in the extra height, don't worry about the coils. Swap the shocks and see what you think. You can always do the coils later.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-23-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, Hopkins! I hadn't gotten a bad vibe from them before this inquiry. Bought the Jeep from Park but this one is much closer for service...

Regarding your response, I'm a little confused. Do you mean you would just do the shocks? (you wrote NOT just do the shocks--but then you wrote you should never have to replace the springs).

Thanks!
Yes the Hopkins dealership/shop doesn’t seem to know as much as you wouldthink they should know.

All I was trying to say that you won’t get that much of a better ride if you put the Rubi shocks in, unlessyour shocks are toast. If you are looking for a 1 o 2 inch lift thenthrow the higher number springs in and the shocks. The rubi shocks are a lot more firm I believe.

Under normal use your springs will last for a long long time.

But I will say that you might want to just go ahead and get some new shocks unless you know exactly how old they are. I replaced my springs (going from 17 to 19 and 58 to 60) 2 years ago. I installed some rubi shocks and they didn’t seem to last. I think they were older than advertised. So this summer I upgraded to rancho with the adjustability. The ride was way better and my death wobble went away.

Last edited by shredd_guy; 01-23-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shredd_guy
Yes the Hopkins dealership/shop doesn’t seem to know as much as you wouldthink they should know.

All I was trying to say that you won’t get that much of a better ride if you put the Rubi shocks in, unlessyour shocks are toast. If you are looking for a 1 o 2 inch lift thenthrow the higher number springs in and the shocks. The rubi shocks are a lot more firm I believe.

Under normal use your springs will last for a long long time.

But I will say that you might want to just go ahead and get some new shocks unless you know exactly how old they are. I replaced my springs (going from 17 to 19 and 58 to 60) 2 years ago. I installed some rubi shocks and they didn’t seem to last. I think they were older than advertised. So this summer I upgraded to rancho with the adjustability. The ride was way better and my death wobble went away.
They shocks and springs are advertised as having 9000+ miles ("under 10K") and are off a 2014 Unlimited Rubicon. I'm planning to pick them up tonight so I haven't seen them or met the person selling them yet. I just figured for $50 I couldn't go too wrong.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

They shocks and springs are advertised as having 9000+ miles ("under 10K") and are off a 2014 Unlimited Rubicon. I'm planning to pick them up tonight so I haven't seen them or met the person selling them yet. I just figured for $50 I couldn't go too wrong.
no you cant
Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a spacer kit, where you basically have to remove the shocks and the springs with hand tools in my driveway. Not telling you to do it but a capable shop should perform this very quickly. Just get a quote from any mechanic around you. Just let them know to loosen the brake line brackets before dropping the axle and everything else is cake.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is such an easy thing to do. Seriously. It requires NO mechanical skills. You just need to know how to use a wrench and a ratchet and have a little strength.

Reach out to some local Jeepers. I'll bet you'll get 2 or 3 that will be willing to help you do it.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
This is such an easy thing to do. Seriously. It requires NO mechanical skills. You just need to know how to use a wrench and a ratchet and have a little strength.

Reach out to some local Jeepers. I'll bet you'll get 2 or 3 that will be willing to help you do it.
Yes, I see what you guys are talking about. I just assumed it was beyond me but I watched one how-to video so far and it did look straightforward. How hard is it to get at the upper bolts for the front shocks?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Drivers side is no problem. The passenger side is a bytch. I used a box cutter to trim some plastic so I have room to get in there and turn the wrench. A dremel tool would work too.

Quick Reply: Rubicon shocks/springs on Sahara--asked dealer for install quote and got this reply