Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Shock Question

Old 11-27-2011, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rubicon Shock Question

I've got about 62k on my Rubi, and she rides and drives perfectly.

I'm considering a spacer lift, with or without shocks. I like the ride/handling of the Rubi shocks, both on and off road.

If I go with a kit with shock extensions, I'm wondering how long I can expect the Rubi shocks to last before I have to replace them anyway. If they aren't expected to last much past 100k, then I might as well go with a kit with shocks.

The other thing bugging me is the shock extensions. They almost seem like a band-aid approach. Are they durable?

If the Rubi shocks last long enough, and no one has anything bad to say about the shock extensions, then that's probably the way I'll go.

I'm down to deciding between the Rubicon Express 2" system and The AEV system. The AEV comes with extended swaybar end links. Are those necessary? Maybe that's another thread.

FYI--For now, I'm sticking with the stock 32" Mud Terrain tires and wheels. If I upgrade, it would be to 33 inch Duratracs, but right now I'm leaning toward sticking with what I've got. A day in mud and goo yesterday increased my confidence in the Mud Terrains.

Last edited by dmwil; 11-27-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I ran the 2" RE spacer lift for a while on my rubi. It was a great starter for me and low budget too. I ran the stock shocks on it without any issues.

Can't remember using shock extensions..hmmm.

I did this to run 33" KM2s and change the look, in retrospect I would have just ran the tires with no lift.

If you do decide on new shocks why not just get longer ones and avoid the extensions?

The stock 32s are great, I love the duratracs. Wish they had come in 37's, lol.

Another thought, lots of threads on running larger tires without any lift, have you considered that?

Look at: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...3+stock+height

Remember the idea is to increase your ground clearance, from the ground to the bottom of the axle. Adding larger tires does this, not lifting the jeep up from the axles. The idea of the lift is to allow more room for larger tires. If you are looking at "only" going to 33's then the lift may not be a wise use of money.

Food for thought...

Good luck.

Brent
Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can score a new set of rubi shocks (take offs) for a $100. Or less. That's a great shock at a good price, score a set from a forum member off the for sale section, add the extensions and get a set of 34-35s tires. You'll be riding high for short money. If
You get a BB kit with shocks they will prob be dampeners.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Doc Highway
Hey,

I ran the 2" RE spacer lift for a while on my rubi. It was a great starter for me and low budget too. I ran the stock shocks on it without any issues.

Can't remember using shock extensions..hmmm.

I did this to run 33" KM2s and change the look, in retrospect I would have just ran the tires with no lift.

If you do decide on new shocks why not just get longer ones and avoid the extensions?

The stock 32s are great, I love the duratracs. Wish they had come in 37's, lol.

Another thought, lots of threads on running larger tires without any lift, have you considered that?

Look at: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...3+stock+height

Remember the idea is to increase your ground clearance, from the ground to the bottom of the axle. Adding larger tires does this, not lifting the jeep up from the axles. The idea of the lift is to allow more room for larger tires. If you are looking at "only" going to 33's then the lift may not be a wise use of money.

Food for thought...

Good luck.

Brent
Actually, my goal is to improve the break over angle a little wile minimizing the effect on handling on road. I want to get that low belly off the ground a bit.

Last edited by dmwil; 11-27-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NH-JK
You can score a new set of rubi shocks (take offs) for a $100. Or less. That's a great shock at a good price, score a set from a forum member off the for sale section, add the extensions and get a set of 34-35s tires. You'll be riding high for short money. If
You get a BB kit with shocks they will prob be dampeners.
Is there a downside to shock extensions? I really like the ride and handling of the rubi shocks.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Now I follow what your thinking is. I did not find much difference in road handling with my spacer lift. Just remember most manufacturers suggest a flash so that your ESP isn't confused by new settings like tire size, ride height,etc. I did not find much difference in road handling when going to my 33" km2's either, but I did go to rims with more backspacing.

Just a thought, larger tires will increase your break over angle too. You must be getting close on new rubber with that mileage?

If not, then now that I understand what you are trying to achieve, go for it. It will be an economical way to achieve your goal and give you the option of larger tires at a later date.

Good luck.

Brent

PS - Once you unleash pandora's box it may be hard to get the lid back on. lol.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Doc Highway
Now I follow what your thinking is. I did not find much difference in road handling with my spacer lift. Just remember most manufacturers suggest a flash so that your ESP isn't confused by new settings like tire size, ride height,etc. I did not find much difference in road handling when going to my 33" km2's either, but I did go to rims with more backspacing.

Just a thought, larger tires will increase your break over angle too. You must be getting close on new rubber with that mileage?

If not, then now that I understand what you are trying to achieve, go for it. It will be an economical way to achieve your goal and give you the option of larger tires at a later date.

Good luck.

Brent

PS - Once you unleash pandora's box it may be hard to get the lid back on. lol.
I've still got a rather surprising amount of tread left. I'm conservatively guessing another 15k in them. I didn't rotate the spare, either.

At that point, it will be hard not to go with 34 inch tires. How do you like the km2?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil

I've still got a rather surprising amount of tread left. I'm conservatively guessing another 15k in them. I didn't rotate the spare, either.

At that point, it will be hard not to go with 34 inch tires. How do you like the km2?
I have 35 in km2s and I gotta say they blow in the winter but other than that I love them!

Quick Reply: Rubicon Shock Question