Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon or save the money?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abacabb
No such thing as saving while owning a JK.
True, its almost like a disease. Modificatious Jeepus. Once you catch it, it never goes away.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Abacabb
No such thing as saving while owning a JK.
So I've heard!!!

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I currently own a few Harley's and I thought they have a lot to add onto for goodies! I don't know if I should love or hate my girlfriend who has been in a jeep family for 30 plus years introducing me to the Jeep Life last year!!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

If your going by the $7000.00 diff. between Sport and Rubicon and only doing minimal offroading.Stay with the Sport. If your looking at the $3000.00 diff. between Sahara and Rubicon and can afford the payment go with the Rubicon even if your only doing minimal offroading. I went with and 09 Unlimited X because I could get it at $19,900. The Sahara Or Rubicon for me was not even in my buget payment wise.

I am very happy with my Unlimited X which came with the factory tow package & 3.73 gear's + 32 in 255/75/R17 Goodyear's. and have had fun modding it as I can afford it. I also use mine as a daily driver with minimal offroading.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with a Rubicon because I found an 09 at a dealership already with a 4" lift and 35" tires. First time I seen it sitting on the lot I knew I must have that Jeep. It had only 13800km on it and they asked $29,900 for it. That's close to what the stock 09's were going for at other places. I traded in the POS Honda and got an extra $5000 taken off. At that same dealership they had an 09 Sahara with a 3.5" lift and a Hemi in it, but it was $60,000. Besides, I liked the Rubicon sticker on the side. So if you find a really good deal on a Rubicon, why not get the Rubicon?

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 03-21-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't read all the pages on this thread... but in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, there is a good article on this very subject in the latest issue of JP.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slippery
Rubi. Small extra amount looked at over years of use and enjoyment. Will fit all of what 95% of wheelers will ever need.

All of the components have strong value if you do decide to upgrade.

Driving off the lot with the ability to go locked/locked puts you well ahead of the open/open gang.
Oh brother....That is all great but the extra $6K saved over the Rubi can be invested in a winch, bumpers, coil spring lift, rear locker, quick discos and beefed up D30 & re-gear. The D44's do fail as well not bullet proof!

However, who cares if it's a X, Sahara, Sport or Rubi - 99% of the time in wheeling it doesn't come down to who has what on the rig...it comes down to driver skill and having a good spotter!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I might be contradicting myself, as months ago i would have said to buy a sport or sahara and buy better upgrades. But my advice for you now would be to buy the rubi so you get the tougher front axle, 4.10 gears and the rubi transfer case with a better crawl ratio. Things like air lockers, quick-disconnects can always be added later on when the stock rubi ones break or get worn out
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timebandit
I didn't read all the pages on this thread... but in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, there is a good article on this very subject in the latest issue of JP.
In the JK edition they had of JP magazine, almost every JK they did a modicifation to or had a write up on was a Rubicon. Guess they like Rubicons.

Quick Reply: Rubicon or save the money?