Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon or save the money?

Old 03-20-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a Rubi right away and love it. I only have 4200 miles on mine and think off the lot it is the way to go. Many people on here have a lot of opinions of things that don't make sense. If I was to do it all over again and just make it a DD I would still get the Manual Rubi, throw in a Budget Boost and put a set of 33's with nice rims. It will drive well still on the freeway and do more that what you want offroad.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Unless you can install the axles, lockers and transfer case yourself to bring it up to the Rubicon level, it will be just as expensive if not more than just buying the Rubicon. Labor ain't cheap.
Get the Rubicon and hold off on the lift until you can afford it, you can run 35's with a stock Jeep anyways.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Abacabb
Unless you can install the axles, lockers and transfer case yourself to bring it up to the Rubicon level, it will be just as expensive if not more than just buying the Rubicon. Labor ain't cheap.
Get the Rubicon and hold off on the lift until you can afford it, you can run 35's with a stock Jeep anyways.
Not unless you cut pinch seams!! Even with a 2.5 coil!!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rubi. Small extra amount looked at over years of use and enjoyment. Will fit all of what 95% of wheelers will ever need.

All of the components have strong value if you do decide to upgrade.

Driving off the lot with the ability to go locked/locked puts you well ahead of the open/open gang.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11Unlimited
Posting here because the mods will be imminent!

Hello everyone. I am still researching and weighing my options prior to my JK Unlimited purchase in June. I plan to install the TeraFlex 2.5" lift and replace the factory wheels with 17"-18", as well as the tires with 33"-35". My question at this point is... Do I spend the extra money on a Rubicon for the upgraded axle and shocks since it is being lifted, or save that money to put towards upgrades? I plan on using it as a daily driver with minimal heavy off-road use. I dont want to skimp on the costs and lose street performance after adding the extra weight and height of the tires and lift. Also don't want to spend money needlessly!!??
Any thoughts?!?! ----Approx. $7000.00 diff. between Sport and Rubicon base MSRP. Approx. $3000.00 diff. between Sahara and Rubicon MSRP...

Thanks Very Much!

Scottie
If you don't plan on wheeling it to the point of risking body damage, then save the money. Folks are running up to 37 inch tires on the stock D30, and you don't need the lower gear transfer case. The Sahara has alls the other upgrades.
Tom
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like lots of Rubi votes.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoy upgrading my X. It's my first Jeep and I like learning first hand what the strength of my components is even if it means finding out the hard way.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snopro269

Not unless you cut pinch seams!! Even with a 2.5 coil!!
You need flat fenders to run it stock.

FYI I bought a sahara thinking I wouldnt need a rubicon. Six months later I traded mine in for a rubi and I'm happy I did.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

The only thing the Rubi comes with that I want is the front 44. As far as the lockers I'll pick my own which will be better than anything Chrysler supplies.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rhino64
The only thing the Rubi comes with that I want is the front 44. As far as the lockers I'll pick my own which will be better than anything Chrysler supplies.
You can't argue with that T-case either though

I went with the X myself... mainly budget reasons. The monthly payment for a Rubicon was WAY too much for me to swallow. If you can swing it, then why not.

However, that said... at the end of the day they are all great Jeeps. And, it will also depend on how much you decide to modify your vehicle. A lot of Rubi guys (as well as X/Sport/Sahara guys) are ditching their front axles for even better PR-44 (or sometimes 60s)... they are ditching their factory e-locker for ARBs... they are tossing the electronic sway bar because they fried it.... They are ditching the T-case for an Atlas...

I say all that to say... depending on how much of it your throw out, at the end of the day you might have just bought yourself one mighty expensive Rubicon sticker

Quick Reply: Rubicon or save the money?