Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon or save the money?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon or save the money?

Posting here because the mods will be imminent!

Hello everyone. I am still researching and weighing my options prior to my JK Unlimited purchase in June. I plan to install the TeraFlex 2.5" lift and replace the factory wheels with 17"-18", as well as the tires with 33"-35". My question at this point is... Do I spend the extra money on a Rubicon for the upgraded axle and shocks since it is being lifted, or save that money to put towards upgrades? I plan on using it as a daily driver with minimal heavy off-road use. I dont want to skimp on the costs and lose street performance after adding the extra weight and height of the tires and lift. Also don't want to spend money needlessly!!??
Any thoughts?!?! ----Approx. $7000.00 diff. between Sport and Rubicon base MSRP. Approx. $3000.00 diff. between Sahara and Rubicon MSRP...

Thanks Very Much!

Scottie
Old 03-19-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Get the Rubi, skip the lift for now. It comes with 32's. If you just want a bit more height, get a puck lift, they are all pretty inexpensive.

Mod later, and running 35's in the stock Dana 30 (Sport and Sahara) is no bueno unless you gusset and truss, so why not just buy the Rubi in the first place?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11Unlimited

Hello everyone. I am still researching and weighing my options prior to my JK Unlimited purchase in June. I plan to install the TeraFlex 2.5" lift and replace the factory wheels with 17"-18", as well as the tires with 33"-35". My question at this point is... Do I spend the extra money on a Rubicon for the upgraded axle and shocks since it is being lifted, or save that money to put towards upgrades? I plan on using it as a daily driver with minimal heavy off-road use. I dont want to skimp on the costs and lose street performance after adding the extra weight and height of the tires and lift. Also don't want to spend money needlessly!!??
Any thoughts?!?! ----Approx. $7000.00 diff. between Sport and Rubicon base MSRP. Approx. $3000.00 diff. between Sahara and Rubicon MSRP...

Thanks Very Much!

Scottie
I bought a 08 sahara and love it butt, really wish it had a dana 44 front. I will end up dropping 4 to 5 grand to get a locked dana 44 or 60 so if I had it to do over again I would go rubi and build the 44 along the way instead of having to change out the d30 if you wheel more than a dirt road and want reliability.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I'd want a lot more info before I made a recommendation. Auto or stick makes a difference as does how the Jeep will be wheeled. Are you going to be in slow speed rock areas or high speed mud? Doing loose ledges where wheel speed may be crucial or technical stuff where slower is better? For a JK, a stick Rubi works well many places but an auto Rubi may be too low geared for some wheelin'.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on using it as a daily driver with minimal heavy off-road use.
Based on that statement, you will be very happy with a Sport or Sahara. Put the savings into parts. I'm not sure you need to extras on the Rubicon if you're not doing hard core wheeling.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

You can only answer that question yourself. I'd say it will truly depend on how hard you wheel or what you want to do. I sure wish I didn't have a dana 30 upfront, it's been geared and locked. Oh well I guess I'll see how it holds up. If I could have a do over I'd get the rubicon, for certain.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your going to wheel it hard, save the $$$, buy the X/Sport, upgrade it to Dana60 with the $ you saved. Then do the 60 in the rear later. other than the D44 front, Elockers and some other meaningless stuff it makes no difference truly. The rubi transfer case is lower also, but with new gears that can be compensated for also. I currently have the X and it is lifted with all kinds of toys added. The wife now wants one. I plan on getting her a Rubi due to it will never see over a 33 or 35 inch tire. the D44 will be fine for that. All my parts will be going to hers and then I am going to put D60's front and rear on mine and EVO lift
Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do I spend the extra money on a Rubicon for the upgraded axle and shocks since it is being lifted, or save that money to put towards upgrades? I plan on using it as a daily driver with minimal heavy off-road use.
If you lift it over an inch, you'll need new shocks. I say go with the Sport or Sahara. I went through the same question when I purchased mine and finally decided on the Sport with almost no options (AC, 3.73 gears.) I wound up paying $19500 ($23K sticker) for this one, the lowest they'd go on the Rubicon was $29000 ($31K sticker.) The $9500 I saved will be spent on the upgrades. This way I won't be throwing away a bunch of parts I didn't want or need.

The only things I miss/want are the 4:1 TC and the Dana 44 in the front, but I can swap those in for next to nothing. However now I think I'd rather get an underdrive so I could have 2.72:1 (stock TC), 4:1 (underdrive) or 10.88:1 (stock + underdrive) low ranges. Had I bought the Rubi, I would have probably got a 2.7:1 underdrive anyways. The elec sway bar disco, lockers and wheels would be removed in favor of JKS discos, air lockers and the ProComps I have now.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

$4500 for a PR44, $1500 for 5.13 gears and lockers, $1000 for a complete lift, trade the stock d30 for a nice set of wheels and 35's, or maybe a rubicrawler... you have one hell of a rig for $7000 more than a stock x.... just sayin.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdnky
If you lift it over an inch, you'll need new shocks.
Not with the Rubicon.

I say go with the Rubi. The upgrades are worth the expense. I just installed the same lift you're considering, the TF 2.5" coil lift. Looks and rides excellent.

Quick Reply: Rubicon or save the money?