Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Regearing - help me understand

Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rubicon Regearing - help me understand

Hey all, need some help here as I haven't found much on teh interwebs. I'm regearing my Rubicon and want some help understanding what I need to watch out for and what is "special" about the Rubi e-locker (and now to not f it up).

Before I get flamed for even bringing up doing the regear myself, let me explain that I have 3 people helping that have all replaced gears on their own Jeeps, so there is zero lack knowledge on how to regear. The only area of concern is that no one has done this on a Rubicon before and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there other than "it sucks" or "you might break something if you aren't careful". I need better information than this.

So I'm looking for anyone that has experience in this area and can provide some pointers on what we need to take care not to break and how to preserve the functionality of the e-locker. Also, comments such as "forget the e-locker and put in an air locker" are not helpful. Neither is "have someone do it at a shop".

Really appreciate any helpful tips... just trying to avoid being flamed just for asking the question.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just finished this job (well, actually the shop did), I have a few pieces of advice.

Order parts based on your specific VIN #. I say this because my 2011 seemed to have parts based on either the 2011 or the 2012.
You might think "it's a D44, they are all the same" but you'd be WRONG. Many of the seals would not fit when ordered based on "2011 Jeep JKR".

Be very careful removing the bolts. The hub/bearing bolts on the front passenger side were pitted and one sheared off. It may have been because of the liquid salt NY is using in winter, or it might have been a foul-up at the factory. Either way, be careful.

Finally....be EXTREMELY careful removing the locker sensor. Some of the earlier ones had aluminum bodies, and were very prone to damage just removing it. The replacements supposedly have steel bodies now.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Grimscale
Order parts based on your specific VIN #. I say this because my 2011 seemed to have parts based on either the 2011 or the 2012.
You might think "it's a D44, they are all the same" but you'd be WRONG. Many of the seals would not fit when ordered based on "2011 Jeep JKR"..
First of all, thanks for the response. Second of all, what you said above is news to me. Are you talking about the actual gears or a difference in the rebuild/overhaul kits? You mention "seals" so maybe you are talking about the parts kits that you have to order with the gears, but not the gears themselves?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
First of all, thanks for the response. Second of all, what you said above is news to me. Are you talking about the actual gears or a difference in the rebuild/overhaul kits? You mention "seals" so maybe you are talking about the parts kits that you have to order with the gears, but not the gears themselves?
I believe the majority of the problems were with the rebuild kits, yes.
There was an issue with the gears, but the shop and I suspect it was either a returned set, or a mis-stamped set. The rear set was way too small to be JK gears, and were only marked "D44538" instead of "D44538JK" like the set that is now in it.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are some videos on YouTube particularity on how to use a dowl pin when installing the front locker to ensure the plunger is set right for the sensor that senses if the locker is engaged or not.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A lot of the 'Rubicon Locker Problem' threads have information on the plunger positioning issue. The pic in this one should help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...oblems-213780/

A writeup by a forum member, not rubicon specific, but might be good for you and your friends to read through before beginning.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A lot of the 'Rubicon Locker Problem' threads have information on the plunger positioning issue. The pic in this one should help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...oblems-213780/

A writeup by a forum member, not rubicon specific, but might be good for you and your friends to read through before beginning.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/
Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. I realize I have a lot of homework and reading to do before taking on this project. I've got some time while I wait for the gears and tools to arrive.

BTW, nthinuf, I remember your name from another thread from a few years ago where someone was looking to buy American made gears. I'm happy to say I got the US Gear 4.88s for my Rubi. Excited to test these bad boys out! Still scratching my head as to why they only sell this one particular thing, but hey, they were exactly what I was looking for it worked out for me! Made in 'Merica!!

Quick Reply: Rubicon Regearing - help me understand