Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon and Quick Disconnects

Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rubicon and Quick Disconnects

I just got the FT 4" Ultimate installed on my Rubicon. The instructions say to not use the quick disconnects that come with it on a Rubicon and instead to use the factory rear links in the front.

Anyone know why? If you compare the new disconnects to the rear links the new disconnects that come with the lift are much longer than the factory rear links.

Also, what would the harm be in installing them and using them instead of the e-disconnect?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Is this also true on the 3" lifts?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

I know a lot of people have the FT lift (on a Rubicon)... and aren't they a sponsor?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

NO harm will be done. In fact, it might be useful having quick disconect in case the electric disconnect motor unexpectedly fails to work.

Several lift kits require you move the rear sway bar links to the front. Firstly, it´s done to you save money by not having to buy additional parts. Its more efficient to use exisiting parts. Secondly because it fits perfectly, and thirdly it works. ON the Rubicon, they expect that you to use the electric disconnect, so they say not to use the quick disconnects, but really it is your call.

A longer rear sway bar on the front allows the swaybar to work properly when its not disconnected and moves the sway bar up higher away from moving suspension parts.

In addition, even with electronic disconect, your suspension travel can be limited by the sway bar link. In the picture below, you can see the sway bar link reaching its extended limit with the electric swaybar disconected. The shorter the swaybar link, the less flex you will have.

If you find you can get more flex with the quick disconnects, why not, as long as you have something to limit the suspension travel like limiting straps so your springs dont fall out. Be careful of short brakelines and ABS wires.

Last edited by VictorS; 05-14-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

That is what I was thinking... but, they make it seem like you really shouldn't install them on Rubicons, not just that they are not needed or optional.

Last edited by RockRubi; 05-15-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

I called Full Traction support today and they said not to install them because they are too long for the Rubicon. They said that they attach to a different place on the Rubicon so they shouldn't be used.

Does anyone know if this is correct?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RockRubi
I called Full Traction support today and they said not to install them because they are too long for the Rubicon. They said that they attach to a different place on the Rubicon so they shouldn't be used.

Does anyone know if this is correct?
Why wouldnt you believe Full traction? I think they know what they are talking about.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

well, I have dealt with support departments at many different companies where the people just make things up if they don't know the actual answer.

I do trust the engineers at FT, that is why I bought the lift (and the really good comments that people on here have had about it), but I don't think I got the designer on the phone so I thought that I would see if anyone here had used them. Also, it sounded a little fishy to me that the mount on the suspension was different because of the e-disconnect. Maybe it is, but I was just surprised by the statement and wanted to ask and I will compare next time I am parked next to an X.

I have looked at the JKS quicker disconnects and they are compatible with Rubicons. Now granted, they are adjustable so maybe that is why they will work. I was just wondering if everyone on here with Rubicons that have a FT lift just used the rear links or if someone actually used the disconnects that come with it.

I just don't accept things at face value when something sounds a little off... doesn't hurt to ask before spending another 150.00 to buy the JKS ones when I already have a new set.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you have already made up your mind on getting QD's for up front and that your just waiting for some one to say " do it ". I don't know why you wont take the word of the people who made your lift ( did you talk to the designer when you bought it) ? I'm not flaming you I guess in the end what I'm trying to say is it's your gig if you want them then get them.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

well, the point of the post was can I use the ones that come with the lift... you are right that probably either way I will install some.

I really just wanted to use the longer links and didn't think that it would damage anything then when they said the Rubicon connected differently I wanted to know if that was true.

No, I didn't talk to the designer when I bought it... not the same thing as asking a specific technical detail to a phone guy and questioning the answer. What I did do was read a lot of the questions and posts that people had put out there about FT lifts before I bought it.

Last edited by RockRubi; 05-25-2008 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Rubicon and Quick Disconnects