Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rubicon with manual sway disco

Old 01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubicon with manual sway disco

anyone have a rubiocn and try using manual disconnects to see if they get better flex? I think i am being limited slightly by the factory disco. On my yj i just threw my sway bars in the trash, and all my buddy's with TJ's keep thiers disconnected all the time except in highway. I have been tossing the idea of disconnecting and seeing how it drives on the street. Being a 4 door i would think it wouldnt be too bad. just have to take turns a little slower.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Drove mine around for a few days last week with them disconnected and my dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree... Not sure how the brain knew since mine are manual but as soon as I reconnected them, all the warning lights went off. My tire pressure was low too so that may have contributed.

Also, I'm pretty sure I would have rolled if I had to swerve going more than 30 mph. Really don't see any benefit to leaving them disconnected on the pavement.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must get to wheel a lot if you have just stayed disconnected. I am 90% sure that the JK disco made by Teraflex pins up to the frame just like their TJ ones did. My Teraflex discos in my TJ were super EZ to unhook and pin up. No straps or zip tires or anything to mess with. I doubt I would add them though... Only problem I have heard about factory disco is it not working at all, not limiting flex. The manual factory ones are EZ to unbolt and I think the links on the auto one can be unbolted the same. You could find a Ramp (or something to flew on) and ramp it with the button pushed and again with the links undone. See what you find. I would like to know what you find out if you do this!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

i think i will give it a test this weekend and see if i get a little more flew with them unhooked. I wheel every weekend and have a few spots in town i hit after work a couple a times a week. I Think my disconnect is not working all the time and i just wish i had a regular sway bar. Sometimes I miss my simple YJ. I can see that the stabi.lity conrtol would kick in on the , but i am stil curious about the limited flex issue. I wil lreport back when i get some results.

The lift i bout also used the factor rear links for hte front. I have 3" black diamond springs with a 1" terraflex spacer up front. If my links are too short then they would limit my flex, right? So then disconnecting them manually would take that issue out of the equation.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't think you will get any more flex with your links disconnected unless your links are too short. Here is a shot of our JK on the ramp using our Rubi disco with links connected.

You can see our RTI scores here (with links connected)
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/project-jk-evo-flex-w-short-arms-rti-scores-read-em-weep-55321/

So long as your sway bar links are the proper length, the limiting factor in the amount of flex you have will be your shocks.

Last edited by wayoflifette; 01-26-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

which is better the stock rubi electronic disconnect or aftermark manual disconnect
Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapp42790
which is better the stock rubi electronic disconnect or aftermark manual disconnect
well, the rubi e-disco is super easy to use, it disconnects and reconnects instantly and without having to get your hands dirty but, you will need a rubicon or a lot of money to get one installed. needless to say, if jeep type and/or budget is a factor, i would go with manual disconnects. if it's not, i have to say that the e-disco is hard to beat. and, as WOLette pointed out, so long as your links are the proper lenght for the amount of lift you have, the e-disco will give you the same performance as being disconnected altogether.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I have wondered about the currie sway bar for the front. does any one know how it rides on and off road? also, would it be worth getting the rear currie sway bar?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflifette
I really don't think you will get any more flex with your links disconnected unless your links are too short. Here is a shot of our JK on the ramp using our Rubi disco with links connected.

So long as your sway bar links are the proper length, the limiting factor in the amount of flex you have will be your shocks.

What WOLette says. Unless you've lifted your ride and didn't change your stock links for longer ones than your really not missing out on anything, with the e-diso disconnected your...well...disconnected and limited simply by your shock length...unless like mentioned you lifted your ride and kept your stock front links...in which case they could limit you...but I see you have the BD lift and it supplies new rear links and asks you to move stock rear up front...
Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Rubi E-Disco unlocked, links still on. There is still plenty of flex left.....I just need longer brake lines first!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: rubicon with manual sway disco