Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Express Sport 3.5 Lift JKU

Old 03-06-2016, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Express Sport 3.5 Lift JKU

So I am in the process of lifting my 2016 JKUR and want to share some experience with this lift. First of all, I have lifted several keeps on the past and never ran into the instructions being so bad.

They threw the kit kit together from various other kits and the instructions are very poor.

The main instruction is for the lift springs. It tells how to install the new front adjustable track bar...but the sport kit comes with the front and rear track bar relo brackets. And so there is no instruction on how to install the front, only the back. I had to resort to watching a promo video and pausing it to take screen shots. In the actual video it is a RE employee talking about the steering stabilizer damper relo to gain ground clearance, yet no instruction.

The other part is in the instructions for installing the new springs/shocks, etc where it tells you to break the tabs to elongate the mounting holes for the lower control arm Cam bolts. Well...this kit came with upper and lower front control arm brackets, and when you go to that instruction, it says to remove them as the new geometry brackets will maintain stock caster and not needed.

I am pretty decent at figuring things out but the fact that they just reused the instructions from other kits and some of it doesn't even apply is very frustrating.

Sorry for the rant but while the parts are very solid and fit perfect, the instructions are terrible. Very disappointed that they sell a kit like this and not have proper instructions.

So beware of the 3.5 sport lift if you are doing it yourself.

Dave
Old 03-06-2016, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, crappy instructions are more than a little frustrating. Did you call RE or the vendor you bought the kit from? I'm just wondering how their customer support is after you spent that much $$
Old 03-06-2016, 05:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You don't need cam bolts with the geometry brackets. DO NOT USE the cam bolts.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack
You don't need cam bolts with the geometry brackets. DO NOT USE the cam bolts.
^ This!

I'd give the RE guys a call I have in the past, I found them very helpful
Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It comes with both front a rear Cams. Decide if you want to use the rear ones also.

What do the instructions say about the high steer kit? I don't see a drop pitman, and there is no mention of flipping the draglink, so curious how it works.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

It came with a high steer kit. I figured it all out. Still have to put the exhaust kit on. Not quite sure why I need it but might as well do it.

I have a lot of hardware left over. I didn't do the can bolts on the rear. I may at a later date.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1075028261.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	648.4 KB
ID:	639841  
Old 04-30-2016, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same issues. Here is my outcome...

It rides great and for the price, I can't complain.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3733789513.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	645518  
Old 10-14-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rubiman
Had the same issues. Here is my outcome...

It rides great and for the price, I can't complain.
Did you kit include instructions for the front lower control arms? I am confused about which holes to install the grease fittings and the small allen screws included. Anyone have any idea which holes need the fittings?

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express Sport 3.5 Lift JKU