Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RUBICON EXPRESS problems!! RESOLVED!!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Rubicon Express site all they have listed is the monotube shocks, and not the Bilsteins. Is it possibly that these are being shipped with the wrong shocks, and they aren't compressing enough? If this was the case then it would put the pressure on the shock, rather than on the bumpstop, and it may shear right?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
On the Rubicon Express site all they have listed is the monotube shocks, and not the Bilsteins. Is it possibly that these are being shipped with the wrong shocks, and they aren't compressing enough? If this was the case then it would put the pressure on the shock, rather than on the bumpstop, and it may shear right?
Looks to me like the new ones are Bilsteins too...just not the "pretty" ones. I want to say it was May or June that these new shocks came into play and they were supposed to be tuned specifically for the JK. I'll see if I can find the thread...

Here you go...https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ubicon+express

Last edited by Rugbyduck; 11-29-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default JE Lift

That's true. RE doesn't call them Bilsteins they call them Monotube. RE doesn't manufacture their own shocks (Most Lifts don't). They have been using Bilstein for a while now. I had RE on my TJ and it was Bilstein shocks then too.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

So...re-reading that other thread...I noted that Red Rock was told there might be problems with the Bilstein Gen 2 rears being too brittle. If that is the case, why doesn't RE just mention that to me or the vendor to get all off their back? I would almost agree they might be too brittle, but just that passenger rear? Maybe they are sending me the Gen 1's?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

From what I'm seeing, the failures do not appear to be related to Bilstein's shocks, the problem appears to be related to the damage to whatever shock is in the way when the track bar hits it.

The Monotube shocks are made by Bilstein. Bilstein is a great company, with a long history of customer service, they give life time warranties, etc. Of course, any company can make a mistake, but, what separates them, is how they handle it.

All of the actual shock damage so far has been due to the track bar, not the shocks...its the shocks that are being damaged BY the track bar set ups.

If the lift kit is hitting the shock, that's not a shock defect, its a lift kit defect.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SDMF
Kinda surprised RE has not popped in to address this.
Me too. As they are a sponsor, I would have expected some kind of response from RE. Not really a good sign when Teraflex responds to an RE issue, but RE doesn't...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a reasonably new thread (less than a day old), they may well not yet be aware of it. Give them some time to respond before condemning them please.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default RE 3.5 issuses

Here is my .02
I had a RE lift on my 06 LJ w/Bilstein 5150 shocks and really liked it. I do 80% of my driving in the city/highway....sure everyone would love to wheel more!
I had the lift and re-gear installed at the same time only catch then was shims for the carrier bolts but fixed by FEDEX over nite. My Rub/Unlimited track bad from the factory..."wandered" on the high way. And after reading the problems with relocation brackets I went with the FT rear track bar right out of the gate. And my kit came with the brushed bilsteins FREE!
Problem 1. Terrible "CLANKING"
Problem 2. Driver side Upper rear control arm rub frame.
Solutions regrease bushing and torque the hell out of track bar bolts at the frame mount and after the settling of springs during 500 mi break in, track bar was adjusted.
Problem 3. I sold my front bumper soon after getting my Jeep and didnt have my shrocksworks stubby or winch to install during the break in so almost no settling/sag up front. They are in the garage still....new baby 1...free time 0!
Anyway the alignment shop cant get it aligned/centered because the front track bar is extended all the way out. And it pulls a little to the right. My installer is super cool, knowledgable. He believes even after the weight is put on the front end adjustable lower arms are going to be needed to correct the alignment. Funny thing is bought this kit BECAUSE of the fixed lower arms, I intended to do the install my self. I will keep you posted after I get the bump/winch mouted and re-aligned. Good Luck.
PS I have delt with RE, Redrock, Northridge,4x4rockshop and have yet to have any problems.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
This is a reasonably new thread (less than a day old), they may well not yet be aware of it. Give them some time to respond before condemning them please.
They might not be aware of the thread...but they ARE aware of the problem. My thought has always been that it's not the fact you made a mistake...everyone does. It's all in how you take care of the problem!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay guys, before this thread gets stupid, let me just say for the record that I have been in contact with RE since early this morning and I can tell you that they are aware of this thread and aware of the few few instances where these shocks have been breaking. They have been looking into this problem extensively but have not been able to replicate as of yet. As to why they have not responded on this thread goes, like many companies, it is simply the policy of RE to not get involved on forums. However, I have been informed that they will be providing me with an official statement that I will be posting later on this afternoon. Until that time, I would be grateful if you would please give them some time and a chance to address this matter. Thank you.

Quick Reply: RUBICON EXPRESS problems!! RESOLVED!!