Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RUBICON EXPRESS problems!! RESOLVED!!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUBICON EXPRESS problems!! RESOLVED!!

I am slightly pissed off. A couple weeks ago I broke my SECOND rear passenger Bilstein shock. They sent me a matching one the first time...no questions asked. However, this time they pitched a fit with my shop, (Central 4wd) saying they wanted the broken shock back before replacing it again. Coincidence that the same side rear shock broke again? Apparently not in that the gent I first spoke with at RE suggested I was not the only one with an issue and they are looking into the track bar relocation bracket being the problem.

Here is what annoys me. RE sent me a replacement shock...see below
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0259 - Copy.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	4579

Figuring I was sent the wrong shock, painted vs the brushed metal, I asked Central to call and have them send me one that matches the other three I have.
The guy I work with at Central said they can send me another rear shock to match the painted one, but not a full set so they all match. I figured, "Oh well, they must have fixed the problem so...okay." When the rep from Central asked if they had fixed the "shock" problem, RE answered no. Personally, I'd really like all four of my shocks to match. I never run mis-matched tires...always like things to match...including my shocks. Doesn't seem too unreasonable. RE said I either take the mismatched shock or I can "Go somewhere else!"
That response is what REALLY pisses me off. First off, the problem with breaking shocks, regardless of the reason, should be addressed ASAP...it's a safety issue. Second, why the attitude with the matching shock? Absolutely horrid service for a company who is supposed to be a leader when it comes to aftermarket Jeep parts. I am so annoyed that I have decided to let the NHTSA address the issue which will most likely result in a recall of the lift.

It is a safety issue in that while I was on the highway, the broken shock became apparent while taking a sweeping curve an my ESP light went off and power to the engine shut down. A jackass in a Peterbilt wasn't paying attention and almost nailed me!

I was obviously hoping for a better outcome than what I got. If one of you are willing to part with your brushed Bilsteins in lieu of a new set of replacement painted Bilsteins...please PM me. If you have had issues with your 3.5 inch RE lift, I'd appreciate a post or PM too.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by Rugbyduck; 11-29-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What part of the shock broke? Top,bottom, shaft?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Your not the first.. Seems to be a major problem.. One of the reasons I went with a proven product.. Eddie has been running FT for almost a year.. with no issues.. Real World Experience.. Not saying RE is not a good setup.. They rushed to get their system to the market without much "Real World Testing" As quoted from a RE tech.. When trying to resolve the same issues with a friend of mine.. Anyway hope it all works out..

Jay
Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bummer
I too have the Full Traction 3" Ultimate. NO ISSUES.
Good luck with that.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I can't even tell if you had painted shocks, that the replacement brushed metal one didn't match, or if they sent you a painted one that didn't match your brushed metal ones.

On the Bils, typically, the painted ones (HD's) are OEM replacement shocks, and the metal finish ones are the 5100's or other shocks made for custom lifts, etc.

As the HD's and the 5100's for example are similar internally...sometimes a lift kit simply uses a OEM shock from a larger truck as a lift kit shock on a smaller truck, as the stiffer valving and longer length typically come close to the lengths of the smaller trucks' lift shocks.

I'd check the total travel for the painted vs the metal finished versions while you have them in hand....and see if they ARE in fact at least the same travel range...and then go from there, decision-wise.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2k2, Looks like you need grab handles for your rocker guards!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 AM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261 - Copy.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	4583
Originally Posted by mkjeep
What part of the shock broke? Top,bottom, shaft?
The shaft broke. Same spot both times.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the same for the RE 2" BB with monotubes anyone?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rugbyduck
I am slightly pissed off. A couple weeks ago I broke my SECOND rear passenger Bilstein shock. They sent me a matching one the first time...no questions asked. However, this time they pitched a fit with my shop, (Central 4wd) saying they wanted the broken shock back before replacing it again. Coincidence that the same side rear shock broke again? Apparently not in that the gent I first spoke with at RE suggested I was not the only one with an issue and they are looking into the track bar relocation bracket being the problem.

Here is what annoys me. RE sent me a replacement shock...see below
Attachment 4579

Figuring I was sent the wrong shock, painted vs the brushed metal, I asked Central to call and have them send me one that matches the other three I have.
The guy I work with at Central said they can send me another rear shock to match the painted one, but not a full set so they all match. I figured, "Oh well, they must have fixed the problem so...okay." When the rep from Central asked if they had fixed the "shock" problem, RE answered no. Personally, I'd really like all four of my shocks to match. I never run mis-matched tires...always like things to match...including my shocks. Doesn't seem too unreasonable. RE said I either take the mismatched shock or I can "Go somewhere else!"
That response is what REALLY pisses me off. First off, the problem with breaking shocks, regardless of the reason, should be addressed ASAP...it's a safety issue. Second, why the attitude with the matching shock? Absolutely horrid service for a company who is supposed to be a leader when it comes to aftermarket Jeep parts. I am so annoyed that I have decided to let the NHTSA address the issue which will most likely result in a recall of the lift.

It is a safety issue in that while I was on the highway, the broken shock became apparent while taking a sweeping curve an my ESP light went off and power to the engine shut down. A jackass in a Peterbilt wasn't paying attention and almost nailed me!

I was obviously hoping for a better outcome than what I got. If one of you are willing to part with your brushed Bilsteins in lieu of a new set of replacement painted Bilsteins...please PM me. If you have had issues with your 3.5 inch RE lift, I'd appreciate a post or PM too.

Thanks for letting me vent.

How extreme were you 4 wheeling for this to happen. Jumping? Seriously because I am about to put these shocks on.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by michaelt
Is it the same for the RE 2" BB with monotubes anyone?
No... I've done nothing extreme (that's the set-up I have); but no, not as yet...

Quick Reply: RUBICON EXPRESS problems!! RESOLVED!!