Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Express Monotube Shocks Experience???

Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rubicon Express Monotube Shocks Experience???

I just got my new Rubicon Express Monotube shocks yesterday. I will be putting them on this weekend along with my 2.5 inch teraflex budget. I was going to get the M-Force monotube shocks but the hardware for them was not available. I didn't find much on the RE shocks when doing a search and wanted to find out anyones experience with them.
I got them for around $300.00 I think they should be just as good as the M-Force and will give more details soon after I install them.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have them on my JK (along with RE spacers), and i like them. Not to harsh, but definitely a lot firmer than my stock X shocks. As far as hardware, you have to re-use the top pin from the old shocks. It's a pain to take out from the old shocks, and a pain to put it on the RE shocks. Make sure you have access to a bench vise... it'll make your life much easier

All in all, they're great shocks
Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

I too am using those shocks and I am very happy with them. The ride is fine and they seems to hold up well when loaded and traveling over rough roads....Wipeout
Old 08-02-2007, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

I have them with the RE BB and they are awesome. Here in australia i was looking at getting a custom made set of shocks from bilstein. When my local tyre/suspension guy made some inquiries, he discovered that bilstein made the monotube shocks for RE for JK specs as a test bed for the "real" bilstein range for the JK. So in fact they are bilstein shocks branded as RE.

They ride sweet and you will not be disappointed.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

cool. thanks for th info. I an not looking forward to taking out the old hardware but I do have a vice on my work bench. We will hopefully see how all goes tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there two different RE monotube shocks for the JK?

Just wondering, because I have the RE monotube shocks built by Bilstein for RE, that came with my RE 3.5" lift kit..........and they just bolted right in, I didnt have to swap the pins or anything.

My dad has RE shocks for his TJ rubicon that are painted/powder coated silver, they are supposed to be monotubes according to Northridge4x4......
but my RE monotubes are brushed aluminum looking, not painted.

Things that make you go Hmmmm

You guys that bought your shocks separate, are they painted or brushed metal looking?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eracer76
Is there two different RE monotube shocks for the JK?

Just wondering, because I have the RE monotube shocks built by Bilstein for RE, that came with my RE 3.5" lift kit..........and they just bolted right in, I didnt have to swap the pins or anything.
I don't know if there's 2 different monotubes made for the JK per se but I do know that Bilstein did work with RE to develop a set specifically made/valved for the JK. And, considering most shocks with the right lenght can be installed in most vehicles, it is possible that some people got just that.

My dad has RE shocks for his TJ rubicon that are painted/powder coated silver, they are supposed to be monotubes according to Northridge4x4......
but my RE monotubes are brushed aluminum looking, not painted.

Things that make you go Hmmmm

You guys that bought your shocks separate, are they painted or brushed metal looking?
Just because a shock isn't brushed aluminum in finish or has been powder coated doesn't mean it's not a monotube shock.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default I know this is an old thread but...

What are the experiences with these shocks now? After use for a while... is the ride noticibly stiffer?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

The RE monotubes are indeed Bilsteins. I haven't noticed the shocks getting any harder or firmer after extensive use. I did however, have a leaky shock on my rear passenger side at about 35,000 miles of use (After a slightly rough wheeling excursion). Because of that, I replaced both rears with Bilstein monotubes. No complaints so far.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express Monotube Shocks Experience???