Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Express 3.5 super flex

Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o2dac2000
All I did was notch out the tranny skid and no problem with ripping the boot on the DS.
Old post, but thought it would be better than strating another new one.

Do you have a pic to show what should be notched?

I am finally (waiting to hear now) to see if I get approved for a new 09 Rubi 4 door. My local 4WP guy is recomending this kit, but I do not have the extra funds to replace the driveshafts at this time.

The lift, tires, wheelspacers, steering stabilzer, RE Monotube shocks has me just about tapped out for my first round of mods. ...and I still need to do skidplates and a rear bumper. ...and the Moab trip is around the corner.

Anyone find a money tree yet?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JNMLLE
You have to change the driveshafts because the stock ones suck.
Man I agree with that. I changed both of mine as soon as I put the lift on as a purely preventative measure. And everytime I looked under the vehicle and saw those POS factory shafts I got pissed off. They PO me about as much as the non-greasable factory ball joints.

As to the OP's question as to why RE makes the recomendation they do and others don't I think it's because others want to make theirs lifts look cheaper overall so they'll sell more. I think RE is just being more honest about it. I'm of the opinion that if you're going to wheel it with more than a 3" lift you will need driveshafts. The only question is are you going to do them in your driveway or have the stock POS fail on the trail.

Last edited by chuck45; 02-03-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man,this is an old one, but I will say that I now have 17,000 miles on this lift since installing it and I just replaced the rear driveshaft due to me bending it on a rock and am now getting a front because of a slight vibration coming from the stock one(it is very sloppy).I use my JK often,have done many 4-4.5 rated trails,haven't had an issue with the shafts until my brain fart inspired rock hit.the front does hit the tranny,not just the skidplate like some people have posted,I replaced my skids and the front shaft still barely hits the oil pan and tranny case area.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

just got my RE 3.5 lift and front shaft in . me and a friend plan on putting it in. my friend has alot of experience with lifting and doing mods to older jeeps not the jk. any major diffs when lifting the jk? would like to find directions on.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by patrol65
just got my RE 3.5 lift and front shaft in . me and a friend plan on putting it in. my friend has alot of experience with lifting and doing mods to older jeeps not the jk. any major diffs when lifting the jk? would like to find directions on.
He shouldn't have any problems as it's pretty straight forward. You should have directions included. If not they have excellent directions with nice color pics on their website that you can download.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express 3.5 super flex