Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Express 3.5 super flex

Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Express 3.5 super flex

Alright guys,I have searched to no avail or I am too lazy look very hard but I have ordered the Rubicon Express 3.5 super flex lift for my 4 door JK, do I have to change my driveshafts? Why? I saw the disclaimer on RE's website stating that they may have to be changed,I have torn the boot off of my front driveshaft already and am wondering why their 3.5" lift would require driveshaft changes and others do not.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default I have the same question

I have the same question, this is the same lift I getting
Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies,I ordered mine locally yesterday at 4:30 pm and it is already here!I was concerned with the driveshaft issue but hopefully I can get them ordered up next week.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cousin eddy
Alright guys,I have searched to no avail or I am too lazy look very hard but I have ordered the Rubicon Express 3.5 super flex lift for my 4 door JK, do I have to change my driveshafts? Why? I saw the disclaimer on RE's website stating that they may have to be changed,I have torn the boot off of my front driveshaft already and am wondering why their 3.5" lift would require driveshaft changes and others do not.
RE strongly encourages you to replace the front and rear drive shafts with 3.5 lift. Not sure if they say this to cover their asses of it is really needed. Good question. I am considering the same lift so I am curious of what others have to say on this issue. Good question.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I would say that 3" to 3 and 1/2" is definitely a limit for the drive shafts. Seems like some people have gotten away with them for many thousands of miles while others shafts go bad within a few hundred miles. I think it is a crap shoot. I just planned on replacing mine when I did the lift, but so far I have only had to do the front. i will do the rear soon as preventive maintenance.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe that this is just a best practice they are stating, not a necessity.

Most people may not understand that lifting a vehicle can cause extreme angles on a drive shaft especially if you plan to wheel and flex your new lift. It may be necessary to think about an after market double cardan style shaft. If you tear the grease boot (at the end of the drive shaft) on your single cv stock drive shaft (not the slip joint boot) your drive shaft will fail.

Most people do the front drive shaft first. I would call Rubicon Express and ask them for the background into their statement.

My experience with Rubicon Express has been good. They offer a complete package, no skimping.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cousin eddy
No - Or, at least, not necessarily. With a 4-door, you definitely do not have to change out the rear but if you have an automatic, you most likely will have to after taking your Jeep on the trail as the DS boot will get ripped off on the auto tranny skid plate. If you have a stick, you will not need to change out your front DS either.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed the RE 3.5" lift on my 4dr rubicon 6spd. I am running Tom Woods 1310 double cardon shafts front and rear. Probably not manditory for the rear of a 4dr, but no a bad idea. The 'woodies' are bullet proof. I do not think 1350 u-joints are nessesary unless you are looking at 37"+ and other axel upgrades. I'm glad I did it. Pics to follow. Besides begin a little stiff on the street the lift is great. Super well thought-out and easy install.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

I have 3.5 " R/E super flex, manny tran, stock DS with no issues
Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am almost done with installing mine,but I have to go out of town tomorrow so I can't finish until Sunday,what do you guys think of the ride quality?

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express 3.5 super flex