Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Express 2" BB?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Express 2" BB?

Decided I'd like a little more ground clearance on my '07 Rubi and was thinking of installing the Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost with the mono tube shocks and some 33's. Was wondering if anyone has had any troubles with this kit or problems with caster after installation? Also, I shouldn't have any trouble with driveshafts and the factory sway bar disconnect right? Also, any major change in gas milage? In theory, with a larger tire, you change your overall gear ratio and should running a lower RPM at cruising speed, but then again you're turning more rubber and I suppose the awesome aerodynamic shape of a jeep is altered slightly. Been pretty impressed with the milage so far on road trips. Found if I can keep it 80mph or less, I get on average 25 mpg and sometimes more. Also, has anyone had any issues with the dealership programming the esp system after bigger tires have been installed? Heard they can only program up to a 32? Is the speedo accurate and does the abs and everything still work right? Just would like a touch more clearance for now and don't really have the fundage for a long arm kit and 1200 bucks more or whatever for driveshafts. Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by husker_shoe; 06-03-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

had mine on for 3 months. leveled out nice until i added the winch n bumper. 2.5 up front 1.75 rear
nice setup for running 33's . no other issues
Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running that lift with the Mopar front and rear bumpers with winch and it leveled out quite nicely. No issues after about two months. PM me if you have any questions!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you'll be fine with this setup but can tell you that after installing it, you're gonna wish you had gone a bit bigger. i had run a teraflex 2.5" BB with 35's and thought it was a much better setup and it might be something you'll want to consider before pulling the trigger. it's a much more of a complete kit and costs less too.

regarding mpg, you'll see a little drop with bigger tires and no, your dealership will not be able to calibrate your speedo. you'll need to pick up something like a procomp accupro or hypertech max energy programmer to do that.

here is a write-up for the teraflex 2.5" BB that i did:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 06-04-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been happy with our RE 2" BB. I knew from the start I only wanted to go as big as 33" tires as the wife's Sahara came with 3:73 gears and I was not looking at getting new gears for sometime if ever.

I can say the mono shocks and lift ride better than the stock shocks that came on the Sahara. You may want to consider a 2.5" BB if you are thinking about getting 35's down the road. I love the stance and look of a the 2" lift & 33's.

I have calculated the approx. difference in my speedo & trip odometer (5%) and I have not lost much in the way of MPG (maybe 1MPG) going up to the 33x12.5R17 tires. Overall, very satisified with the ride & definitely the look of the RE lift.

Picture with the 2" RE and 33's

Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

My RE 2" goes on tomorrow. I'll post the results in a few days.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I have been happy with our RE 2" BB. I knew from the start I only wanted to go as big as 33" tires as the wife's Sahara came with 3:73 gears and I was not looking at getting new gears for sometime if ever.

I can say the mono shocks and lift ride better than the stock shocks that came on the Sahara. You may want to consider a 2.5" BB if you are thinking about getting 35's down the road. I love the stance and look of a the 2" lift & 33's.

I have calculated the approx. difference in my speedo & trip odometer (5%) and I have not lost much in the way of MPG (maybe 1MPG) going up to the 33x12.5R17 tires. Overall, very satisified with the ride & definitely the look of the RE lift.

Picture with the 2" RE and 33's

Looks nice man! Was wondering if you're getting any rubbing with the tires. Looks like you should have plenty of clearance, but just curious. Was kind of wondering if I'd have to run 33x10.5R17 or if I could run the 12.5's

Last edited by husker_shoe; 06-04-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you'll be fine with this setup but can tell you that after installing it, you're gonna wish you had gone a bit bigger. i had run a teraflex 2.5" BB with 35's and thought it was a much better setup and it might be something you'll want to consider before pulling the trigger. it's a much more of a complete kit and costs less too.

regarding mpg, you'll see a little drop with bigger tires and no, your dealership will not be able to calibrate your speedo. you'll need to pick up something like a procomp accupro or hypertech max energy programmer to do that.

here is a write-up for the teraflex 2.5" BB that i did:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Was wondering if the pro-comp and hypertech programmers also re-calibrate the ESP and ABS systems? Also, with a little bigger lift like this and 35's, is everything still cool as far as the electronic disco sway bar? How about the stock driveshafts? How much do these programmers cost?

Last edited by husker_shoe; 06-04-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by husker_shoe
Looks nice man! Was wondering if you're getting any rubbing with the tires. Looks like you should have plenty of clearance, but just curious. Was kind of wondering if I'd have to run 33x10.5R17 or if I could run the 12.5's

Zero issues with the rubbing on the bumper & front suspension components at full wheel lock to lock even when it was at stock height. The aftermarket rims on the JK have 4.5" Backspacing to allow for the 12.5 wide tire.

At stock height with the new wheels and wider tires made the Cooper STT's stick out about 1/2" outside the stock fender thus creating the rubbing problem off-roading and flexing. After the RE 2" BB install my rear tires don't rub on the rear fenders while off-roading.

If you planning on using stock rims (6.25" BS) with a 12" or wider tire, you will have to look at getting a 1.25" spacer to pull out the stock rim from the suspension components and avoid rubbing. The 1.25" spacer just means your stock rim now has a 5" Backspacing, which will now accomodate a 12" or wider tire.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hypertech just calibrates the tire size and a performance tune. I haven't had any issues with the ESP coming on at random times or anything of that nature. As far as the sway bar disconnect, I don't have that (mine was a stock X without that option) but I don't think it will cause any issues...
Hope that helps some...

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express 2" BB?