Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Electronic Swaybar broken

Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Electronic Swaybar broken

Any other rubi's had your front factory electronic swaybar break? Just found out mine is broken and to repair with Mopar parts like it is is gonna run $1800 !!!! I was thinking of going back with a standard swaybar and adding manual disconnect links. Any suggestions or comments on this issue? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

EVO: Suspension / Steering, EVO MFG(9q) NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect
89 bucks aint bad

Last edited by olram30; 04-25-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

swaybar links are intact the swaybar itself is broken... The repair I am considering is to replace with a standard swaybar and put the manual disconect links on. It should be a much cheaper option than replacing the electronic swaybar.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

my bad, thought the motor went out. look into those anti rock or teraflex sway bar systems. run around 4 hundred bucks.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You broke the actual bar? Never heard of that, wow.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

if your actual BAR is broken there is no way its 1800 bucks to replace. the dealer or wherever you got the quote from gave you a quote for the entire swaybar system.

either find somewhere where you can get the bar itself or start looking at junk yards.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the bar is actually broken inside the factory electronic disconnect. Never heard of this either, the reason so expensive was for replacing it back like it is. Didn't get a price to replace with a standard solid bar. At this point I don't care the dealer just called me and they convinced mopar to warranty it 100%. Kudos to the dealer because my warranty has been expired for 2yrs!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Awesome

That's awesome from the dealer to warranty that. How did you break it?? I would just like to know to prevent problems for our Rubi. Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by In2rsq1
That's awesome from the dealer to warranty that. How did you break it?? I would just like to know to prevent problems for our Rubi. Thanks
I have no idea how it broke. I noticed my front end was a little squirly above 40mph so I took it in to have them check it out. I figured the ball joints or u-joints or something were wearing out. I know several guys who have had to replace some of those items. I havent been wheeling lately so Im not really sure when or how it happened. I figure something must have been weak from the factory. My dealer said they have never heard of this and when they discussed it with there regional office they have never heard of this happening either.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are lucky. Had mine go out too. Went to Evo manual disco. While at it I took my sway bar apart. That is the housing section with the gears in it that allow it to disconnect/reconnect. I wheel a fair bit in water/mud. It was wet and corroded inside. Took it all apart and cleaned it up and regreased it. It was hard to get the ring to disengaged the teeth. Not sure if this strain or water caused the failure. When putting it back together I used make a gasket to try to make it more weather proof. I plan to take it apart soon to see how it is holding up. If I do I will post some pics. If you are not familiar with the function and mechanism you should search smartbar study here on the forum. Hope this helps you preventing a re-failure.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Electronic Swaybar broken