Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon coils + 2" Budget lift on a Wrangler X

Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon coils + 2" Budget lift on a Wrangler X

I bought my JK with a Skyjacker 2" Budget lift... aka the hockey pucks over the stock coils. I just got some Rubicon coils which should give the truck an additional 2" of lift. Question is, can I use the Rubicon coils with the budget lift or will the resulting extra lift require me to buy additional hardware or have any other problems?
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have had the very same guestion about a 2"bb(cup spacer cups)but only with rubi coils on an x.

what all needs to be added can you run stock drive lines, how much lift would you really get, how much is too much and how can you tell on these stock drive lines. and then control arms, bump stops etc. etc. so lost

please share you wisdom
thanks in advance
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

My friend and I put some stock rubi coils on his 07 jk x and the part numbers were erxactly the same. After setting them side by side there was no difference in the spring height except the rubi springs were brand new and his stock ones had about 40k on them so the difference was pretty much unnoticeable. He did have the towing package in his so the springs may be upgraded to the rubi springs to handle the towing, but I am almost sure they are the same spring. Check around on these forums and you might be able to find out more.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

were the spings off a 4 dr i think they sit higher even still ?

ive looked high and low for the answers on this and have had no luck no one knows?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

I don't think they will give you more lift, but they might support more weight. They are heavier duty, but not necessarily taller.
IMO, if you're going to swap out springs, put on aftermarket.

To answer your question, it should all be compatible without additional parts or modifications since you already have a BB. I honestly doubt you will get another 2 inches of lift. A half inch seems more realistic. If you get Rubi springs off a 4 door, you might gain a little more. Don't be surprised if there is almost no difference.

Last edited by JK Rocker; 04-09-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

i see my biggest issues are 1.staying on a small budget
2.keeping as many warrenty items under warrenty
3.getting more lift
another concern of going to high would be the drive line limits, if i remember right its 2" in the front and 4" in the rear? where would i measure from? to? to find out how much higher i can go.

thanks much
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlimited Rubicon coils are larger then stock X coils. "lets solve the stock spring question.." thread answers that. Yes adding unlimited rubicon coils will give you more lift, however it depends on which coils you actually get, as there are a few variations.
As for driveline limits, on a two doors it's over 3 inches for the front. and the rear you shouldn't have to worry about, when it comes to drive shafts. on the front, when flexed out the drive shaft boot will come into contact with the transmission skid plate, messing up the boot and wearing the shaft down in a vlnerable spot. That's over 3 inches though. To prevent alot of rubbing on the fender flares i would get some larger bump stops so the tires don't push the flares too hard. and with the additional lift from the BB and rubicon coils you should get larger shocks, or at least rubicon shocks and add shock extensions.
Brake line extensions as well if you plane to flex alot and wheel it, to be on the safe side. So if you get the right things, you can have a high lift height with decent function, but idk how it would ride on-road.
or you have save a headache and just get a suspension setup, like a 2.5" coil lift and a 1" body lift, or many other possible combinations.

Hope that helps some,
Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

I don't have a 2 door, so I'm not positive on the numbers, but I think you can go up to 3 inches of lift. Any more than that, and you'll need drive shafts.

Your warranty will always be good unless the needed repair is a direct result of the modification. So, adding lift spacers does not void the warranty on your springs unless the spacers damage the springs somehow.

Getting lift on a small budget is tough, especially when you already have a budget boost. A body lift is one options. Another low cost option would be a taller budget boost. You could probably get a set of Teraflex 2.5" spacers from the "for sale" section of the forum. Maybe that combined with your Rubi springs will give you another inch of lift. I don't know what parts are included with a Skyjacker BB, but assuming you already have taller shocks (or adapters) and brake line relocators, taller spacers should suit your needs just fine.

Off topic... but I'm surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the Modified forum... It's a bit out of place here in the Write Ups.
Yo, Mods!

Last edited by JK Rocker; 04-09-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by esprocks
I bought my JK with a Skyjacker 2" Budget lift... aka the hockey pucks over the stock coils. I just got some Rubicon coils which should give the truck an additional 2" of lift. Question is, can I use the Rubicon coils with the budget lift or will the resulting extra lift require me to buy additional hardware or have any other problems?
Thanks!
If the springs are longer than the originals it will end up giving you 2" extra lift . That means you will be running 4 inch of lift.....so you will need adjustable track bars etc etc....otherwise you gonna have issues.

KSK

Last edited by ksk; 04-09-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

i would not mind getting track bar, brake line extender kit and what ever else i need, my main concern is voiding my warranty with to much lift and screwing my drive lines, but how and where do i measure for this? as for the boot hitting the tranny skid plate, i was under the impression that it was only for automatics that that was an issue?

so 4dr rubi springs yield 2" lift more then the ones on a 2dr x?

i have strongly considered a 1" body lift but word on the street is there is some trimming of an inner boot for the shifter, but i have no idea of where this trimming is done and sounds a little permanent and scary, does any one have pictures or a little enlightenment of where this is done?

Quick Reply: Rubicon coils + 2" Budget lift on a Wrangler X