Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Clone?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Clone?

The rubicon unlimited 08 in Cali (pretty well equipped) is running about $36k (about 1 grand over sticker). I'm considering going with an X unlimited for about $28k (price includes rear locker and elect. sway bar disconnect) and then spending some of the $8k I'm saving on a Mopar D44 front end, re-gear of front and rear to 5.13, 3" lift, 35" tires, winch, bumper, rails, skids, lights, etc.

When I'm done, won't I have something equivalent to a very well equipped Rubicon for about $5k less (Rubi plus lift, tires, re-gear, rails, skids, lights, etc.)? Or, am I missing something fundamental here regarding the differences between the Rubicon and the X JK model?

Last edited by HOMEGLASS; 03-15-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb Yes

NO 4:1 low range ratio in the transfer case in the X.

Originally Posted by HOMEGLASS
The rubicon unlimited 08 in Cali (pretty well equipped) is running about $35k (about 1 grand over sticker). I'm considering going with an X unlimited for about $28k (with rear locker and elect. sway bar disconnect) and then spending some of the $7k I'm saving on a Mopar D44 front end, re-gear of front and rear to 5.13, 3" lift, 35" tires, winch, bumper, rails, skids, lights, etc.

Will I be ending up with something exceeding the capabilities of the stock Rubicon when I'm done, or am I missing something here?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

You won't have the 4:1 transfer case gearing. You will have 2.7:1. So your crawl ratio will be higher. Also I believe the D44 on the X is a 30 spline axle and on Rubicon has 32 spline.

With the lift/tire/gears/locker I'd say you would out perform a stock Rubicon on the trail quite easily.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

even though you'll have a Dana 44 in the rear, the rubicon dana 44s have more splines on the axle shaft... and you'll be missing the front electric locker but most importantly, you'll be missing the 4:1 transfer case ratio... if you do much rock crawling, you'll appreciate the lower gearing. but if you don't do a lot of rock crawling, go for it. save the cash. it all depends on how you wheel it and what you'll really need. either way a jeep is a jeep and even starting with and x, you'll end up with a well built jeep thats very capable, if you're a decent off road driver it can make up for the lack of the lower gearing and the lack of the front locker in most cases. I say, save the cash, and soup it up.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Both nthe deficiencies mentioned can be corrected through aftermarket parts, but basically, building a X to a Rubicon costs a little more than buying a Rubicon, more if you have to pay for labor. Only you do get to choose the aftermarket parts you want.

Jeff
Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd get an X then replace both axles with Portal-Tec axles, you get final gear ratios from 4.64 to 15.39 and any locker you want. They are bullet proof. You could get a good 2" spring lift, for extra flex, and run 39" tires with no problem. You would make all the Rubicon owner cry.

Last edited by Dante; 03-15-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe the interior is different, no vinyl seats in the rubicon. But that is more of a comfort thing and not performance. There may be a bunch of other differences depending on what options are on the X model ( sport package?, air conditioning, power option). Some of the suspension components are different but will probably be changed depending on the type of lift done. All of these are pretty much comfort and not performance, it all depends on how much of a "clone" you want. I went with the Rubicon because there was very little needed right off the lot to really offroad and I thought it just might hold it's resale/trade-in value a little better than an "X".
Old 03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about what you wanna do in your jeep.
Mines an X with every interior bell and whistle of a Rubicon. (sans silver instrument bezel)
I wish I had the 44 up front, but I really don't get narly enough for me to justify it. I prefer the sand so for me it works.
The 4:10 would be the biggest issue for me. I can't imagine NOT having it, so unless you found an '07 X, you won't get it.

Personally, I think buying a total stripped down X would be fun to build up.
No matter what you buy, you are gonna tear it down and tinker with it anyways.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dante
I'd get an X then replace both axles with Portal-Tec axles, you get final gear ratios from 4.64 to 15.39 and any locker you want. They are bullet proof. You could get a good 2" spring lift, for extra flex, and run 39" tires with no problem. You would make all the Rubicon owner cry.

I believe those are VOLVO C303 Portals, stout and rare. Also vacuum operated Lockers. You can also go the UNIMOG S404 Portals as well with 7.21 at each corner, Mechanical lockers and as stout as a Dana 70.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

this is been covered about a billion times...

Quick Reply: Rubicon Clone?