Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon 3.5" standard or what lift around 1,000.00

Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon 3.5" standard or what lift around 1,000.00

Allright i know there are ton of these out there but im trying to condese the information into one post i can keep track of.

I have a 08 4dr auo rubi and want to get a good 3.5-4in lift to where i can run 35s or maybe even 37s later down the road (the use of spacers here would not be out of the question later on just for extra clerance) and not have to change driveshafts and what not - i want to keep the lift w/ shocks at around 1,000.00 give or take some and i want to make sure it can support the weight of my front bumper and winch an added 220 lbs or so as right now the front springs are sagged and im pretty much ridding the bump stops

i want it to be capable but nothing insane - i would like to have some fun with it and hit the rubicion ( which i have gone in a good mile of it from loon lake allready with the sagged front and the performance allready amazed me)

I was looking at the rubicon express standard 3.5 kit (they are fairly local too me which can possibly be a plus)- what are your guys opinions on this or do you think there is a better option in the same price point?
let me know what you guys think - im hoping in the next 2 months to have this thing ready to go

thanks guys
Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sure you will get many responses on a post like this, but here's my $.02.

My dad has/had a Rubicon Express lift on his '08 Rubicon. I say has/had because the only major components left from the kit are the springs. Every single bushing on his control arms are shot after only about a year or less. The track bar gave him all kinds of trouble. And, he purchased Bilstein shocks from the very beginning. Now, he's got the Teraflex full flex arm kit (which itself is a little over $1k with install I believe) and he replaced the RE track bar with the Teraflex HD forged track bar.

So, I know there are many members on here that have had better luck with the RE kits, but I also know there are many others that have had the same or similar problems with them as well.

On the other hand, I know there are a great many members on here, including myself (see my sig for details) that are running one of the Teraflex kits, and I've heard nothing but great stuff about them. I love mine and have had no problems after approximately 2 years. Another added benefit of the Teraflex company is that the customer service is outstanding and Joe from Teraflex is an avid member of this forum that's always willing to help. I highly recommend contacting him with any questions on their kits.

Oh yea, in response to one of your other comments, if you've got an automatic, plan to replace your front drive shaft with the type of set up you're planning to run. It sucks, but it goes with the territory of this level of mods. I know there are some folks that have been able to get away with the stock shaft with a 3" lift, but I'm pretty sure most will recommend replacing it. I went through 2 stock shafts and have a brand new 3rd stock shaft sitting in my shed since I had a local manufacture build me a custom shaft.

One other thing; with the Teraflex 3" kits, you'll very likely get more than 3"...more like 3.5" - 4.5" depending on factors such as hard top or soft top, weight of bumpers, etc. I definitely got more than 3", but I'm not sure exactly how much as I forgot to measure before having the lift, wheels and tires installed. I also have a hard top, stock front bumper (for now) and a Rancho rear bumper/tire carrier.

Hope that helps and provides a little bit of direction. Like I said...that's just my $.02.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Rusty's offroad 3.25" lift in my 07 unlimited x and it is great. It is only $550 and includes new front and rear springs, front and rear adjustable trac bars, rusty's performance shocks and quick disconnects, thats getting a lot for your money and rusty's also sells spacers so if you wanted a little more height you can always add it.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys

Quick Reply: Rubicon 3.5" standard or what lift around 1,000.00