Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rubicon 3.5 express build help

Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubicon 3.5 express build help

I want to get the Rubicon express 3.5” standard suspension system. I’m going to start off with 33’s and when I save up for a re gear and new tires, I’ll go with 37’s. I chose this lift kit because it was one of the only systems that would allow me to do this. And it was somewhat inexpensive. The only dilemma I am facing is choosing shocks. I need shocks for this kit what do you guys (and girls) think I should buy? Rubicon Express 3.5" Standard Suspension System for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec this is the lift kit
Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have that kit on 33s too. I have the bilstein shocks. Honestly I dont like the ride quality of the kit at all. My jeep is literally the roughest vehicle I have ever ridden in. I am having issues with bump steer and flighty steering too. Ever since I bought the kit i have been trying to get my jeep to handle better. Got an aftermarket SS and the AEV geometry correction brackets and those did not help much. I tried to be cheap and it didnt work out for me. I highly recomend going with a smaller lift, or getting a more complete 3.5 kit ( with control arms etc.)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you get this kit, DO NOT install the cam bolts that come with it. do yourself a favor and get a pair or adjustable lower front control arms instead. otherwise, i would highly recommend getting a set of bilstein 5100's
Old 06-02-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you get this kit, DO NOT install the cam bolts that come with it. do yourself a favor and get a pair or adjustable lower front control arms instead. otherwise, i would highly recommend getting a set of bilstein 5100's
thanks its nice to have somone who knows as much as you do help
Old 06-02-2012, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

is there any video or thread comparing a long arm to a short arm to a coil over system?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the standard kit on my jku. I like the kit just installed it in Feb, so far no problems. Didn't know much about the cam bolts until after I installed them. Depending on how much wheeling you do I believe they would be ok, but if i had it to do over again I wouldn't have used them. As for shocks I just went with some procomps until I can afford better. But I have come to find out WOL is a very wise one and to at least really consider heavily the wisdom he offers

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120604_181705.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	325480
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

i have the RE 3.5 standard kit and i installed the cam bolts :/ bad choice on my part, i know that now. Getting the tabs around the Control arms mount for the Cam bolts was a PITA. i have Fox Resi shocks and the ride is pretty good, definitely better then stock. i would recommend this kit but only if you buy front and rear lower control arms with it. here are some pics. 35" MT/R's

Quick Reply: rubicon 3.5 express build help