Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubi TC 4:1 to 2.72 swap?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi TC 4:1 to 2.72 swap?

Hello,

I would liek to know if someone here knows if I can swapp the internal gears (buy them) of the Wrangler Sahara TC 2.72 ratio to convert a Rubicon that brings stock the 4.1 ratio WITHOUT swapping the whole transfer case, just by opening and changing the isnide gears.

I didn't have time to check my self both TC's shape and if they are compatible on most or if they are absolutly different and can't swapp the internal gears to convert it to 2.72 ratio.

The porpouse is another thign that I won't be discussin here, so don't ask why I want to do it and think I'm nutz

Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think if you could find a used t-case at a salvage yard or other such area out of a wrecked JK (or other Jeep for that matter) it would be a much easier, more reliable, and more than likely cheaper swap in the long run. Mostly I say this because you will be dropping the whole unit out to modify the stock one anyway. If you add the steps of disassembling and reassembling your original t-case to the pain of getting it sealed up tight with no oil leaks and the price of new t-case gears and chain or the time of disassembling a used unit to take the 2.72 gears and chain out and put it in yours, your better off just swapping in a sealed used unit that came with 2.72 from the factory into your rig...

As for compatibility I am fairly sure that the 2.72 should be able to fit into the case with the original 4.1 as the 4.1 gear is larger I would think.

Hope this helps
Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

The sahara transfer case is a shift on the fly system, and the rubicon is a part time. Since those systems act differently. With just knowing that I wouldn't think you could switch out the internals and everything just work. It would be different if it was the same type of transfer case just different gear ratios, like the axles. But I am a shade tree mechanic, and this is just my thought on the topic.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, the best options, eaiser and i think, cheaper way, would be swapp the entire TC, but it must be brand new, no slavage or used TC's for the JK down here as USA has many avilable. So might be cheaper in the end the gears it self than the whole TC, but before jumping in quote prices for nothing, I would like to know if are interchangble.

What you mean exactly that Sahara is a shift on the fly and the Rubi is part time? Both TC's are 241 model right and both has 2wd, 4 par ttime, N and 4lo? Not full time avialable from what I know. But maybe the Rubi 241 TC has subname there, 241R maybe? I did't look deeper in this yet.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are both shift on the fly for 4wd hi since both have a 1:1 hi range. The low range is what's different, and both require coming to a stop or 1-2mph crawl, and quickly shifting into low. No difference. Both the same xfer cases, just different gears. I would imagine you could swap the whole case. Itd prob be alot more work to swap the gears. Just find someone with an X or Sahara that wants to swap you.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nevermind what I said, I looked in my brochure and they are both the NV241 transfercase. I was thinking that they were two different cases, not just different gears. I'm not saying it will work, I am just saying to nevermind my post, as my logic was incorrect.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default Consider a Trade

Originally Posted by tpm152
I would think if you could find a used t-case at a salvage yard or other such area out of a wrecked JK (or other Jeep for that matter) it would be a much easier, more reliable, and more than likely cheaper swap in the long run.
Another option might be a swap with another local JK owner.

I know that if some crazy Rubi owner asked to swap for the 2.72 in my Unlimited X, I would jump on it! (So long as I knew he wasn't the type to have bagged on his Jeep)
Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kompressor

I know that if some crazy Rubi owner asked to swap for the 2.72 in my Unlimited X, I would jump on it!

Who would ever want to swap his Rubi 4:1 transfer case?

Sell maybe yes, as some guys upgrade to an Atlas TC.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diegom6
Hello,

I would liek to know if someone here knows if I can swapp the internal gears (buy them) of the Wrangler Sahara TC 2.72 ratio to convert a Rubicon that brings stock the 4.1 ratio WITHOUT swapping the whole transfer case, just by opening and changing the isnide gears.

I didn't have time to check my self both TC's shape and if they are compatible on most or if they are absolutly different and can't swapp the internal gears to convert it to 2.72 ratio.

The porpouse is another thign that I won't be discussin here, so don't ask why I want to do it and think I'm nutz

Thanks
Bring your jeep to my house and I'll gladly install a low mileage X transfer case into your jeep for you free of charge; but i get to keep your rubi case:-)

Oh....you live in Peru. Bummer!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Question

just for satisfying my personal curiousity why do you want a 2.72 over a 4:1 ?

Quick Reply: Rubi TC 4:1 to 2.72 swap?